Show Epics as Scrum board cards

Davy Chang December 11, 2017

Hi there,

For my Kanban backlog, I have the option to "Display epics in a panel in the backlog, and not as cards on the board" under Board Settings | Columns.

I'd like the same option for my Scrum backlog.  Is this possible? 

Best,

Davy

4 answers

2 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 12, 2017

In a scrum board, Epics are always shown as panels in the side. They will never appear as cards on the board. That is why there is no such option.

See https://confluence.atlassian.com/agile/jira-agile-user-s-guide/working-with-epics/adding-an-issue-to-an-epic#AddinganIssuetoanEpic-Addingexistingissuestoanepic

Tormod Tønnesen June 19, 2019

We also need the kanban epic option for our scrum board, the panel is useless for us as we plan epics in future sprints and need normal drag and drop in the scrum backlog!

Like # people like this
anton_morant November 18, 2019

Likewise :(

Like James Schmidt likes this
0 votes
Mike Lemmon December 12, 2022

Just an .. FYI ... we were seeing an Epic Card appearing on our Scrum Board .. when back tracking through changes done that might cause this .. we found out it was caused by a change done within our Advanced Roadmap .. if you update the Sprint on the Epic to a Scrum Team Sprint .. the Epic Card appears on the Scrum Board.

As soon as we removed the sprint .. the Epic Card disappeared from our Scrum Board ... mystery solved .. not questioning .. why it does this though  :) 

0 votes
Krzysztof July 26, 2021

Board configuration -->Columns-- check out: Epics panel (Display epics in a panel in the backlog, and not as cards on the board)

DONE.

James Schmidt December 8, 2022

In the Scrum board -> Board Config -> Columns there is no Epic panel :(

0 votes
Pablo D'Ambrosio July 25, 2018

I done it, but by error. I have an issued an epic that is been shown as a CARD. I don't know how to solve it.

Suggest an answer