Should I create two seperate projects or one project with two boards?

Grégoire MANIEZ September 9, 2022

Hello there!

We are currently setting up JIRA for our company, and I have one question here.

We will have the development team working on their own board for developing stuff with Epics, stories and so on, and there will be the QA team making sure everything is okay.

Now, the process will not be the same for Dev and QA. QA doesn't need to work with epics, start and end date, etc, which means ticket types won't be epics and stories, but more something like technical issue, graphical issue, linguistic issue etc, no need for start and end date but steps to reproduce.

> aka different workflow, different ticket fields.

Now my question is, is that possible to set this up so Dev board and QA board are both attached to the same project, or can we only make this work on two different project (one named dev and one named QA)? From what I can see, it appears screen configuration is attached to projects and not boards. I know we can make different columns layout but I'm not sure about the fields configuration.

For you to anyone taking the time to read this!

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 9, 2022

Hi @Grégoire MANIEZ and welcome to the community!

Since QA typically needs traceability back to source stories to be most effective, I'd recommend a single project with two boards, screens, workflows for their individual needs.  Here's how it would work:

• Issue Types:  Make sure you have a clear delineation between issue types used by Dev and QA (Sub-Tasks could be shared, but they should have a very simplistic workflow more below)
  • Workflows: Configure the existing workflow for one team and then create a new workflow for the other and add to the project's workflow scheme.
  • Screens: I'd start simple with one screen for each team that will be used for Create/Edit/View actions
    • Screen that will be used by Dev team issue types
    • Screen that will be used by QA team issue types
    • Optional: Screen for Sub-Tasks
  • Screen Schemes:  One screen scheme for each of the screens created above
  • Issue Type Screen Schemes:  This is where you tie it all together.  Your Dev/QA issue type(s) would be assigned the screen scheme set above respectively and if you created a specific screen scheme for Sub-Tasks you would assign that here as well.

Once you've set this up, you can have both teams work in the same project independently with unique boards / board filters.

Grégoire MANIEZ September 9, 2022

Hey Mark, thanks for the fast and detailed answer!

From what I can understand, this should indeed work. I will try to set it up the way your described.

Thank you!

Like Mark Segall likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events