Sharing Dashboards as an Administrator

Jonathan Blackwell January 29, 2021

We have groups of users that do not have the ability to share dashboards or browse people / groups for security reasons. Is there a way for an administrator to see the individual dashboards created by a user and share them on their behalf.

Dashboard management seems pretty limited even for a global admin.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 29, 2021

Hi Jonathan,

The Administrator will have to be the owner of the Dashboard in order to share it with others. Only the owner can make changes or share Dashboards. 

There is a request for multiple people to be able to manage those here:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-17783

You can vote for it and follow along. 

Darryl Lee
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 29, 2021

So... this doesn't help, but on a sidenote, all last year I was only working in Cloud, so I was surprised (or forgot) that shared editing of Dashboards is available in Server/Data Center. Here's that corresponding bug: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-17783

And the Release Notes for it:
https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftware/jira-software-7-12-x-release-notes-953676636.html#JiraSoftware7.12.xreleasenotes-filters

Maybe someday this comes to Cloud as well.

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 29, 2021

While the idea is good and I appreciate the intention that it was brought to Jira Server this week I fell into this trap with a team:
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-61158

So the use, currently, is limited by the bug.

To summarize in a few words: an user shared the element (giving a colleague edit permissions). Both of them are NOT in the same team.
Therefore the colleague which was granted edit permissions can NOT save the edited filter as an error message appears.

So from the looks and if I did not get something wrong sharing the edit permission only works as long as the other user is in the same team (technically speaking: group).

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 30, 2021

@Jonathan Blackwell  - were you able to change ownership and share the dashboard?

Jonathan Blackwell February 1, 2021

Only of dashboards that are not private. So I don't think my scenario is achievable at the moment with the permissions I want the users to have. Marking your answer as the solution, though that feature request is from 2009 so I doubt it will be changed.

Like John Funk likes this
0 votes
Guilhem Dupuy
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 29, 2021

Hello @Jonathan Blackwell ,

You can do it by clicking on Dashboards => View all Dashboards. 

Then, in the options, you can Edit and Share the Dashboard, even of a private Dashboard created by another user if you're an Admin.

Let me know if it helped,

Guilhem

Jonathan Blackwell January 29, 2021

@Guilhem Dupuy That's what I was hoping, but I am logged in as a Org/Site Admin and on that page can only see previously shared dashboards. I had a user next to me create a new private dashboard and it does not show up in the list.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events