Setup config won't move past Set Up Application properties

Henry Dittmer May 2, 2018

I enter the values for Title, mode and URL and hit Next, but the page keeps coming up and I can't get past it.  Any help would be great!  The install is on Windows Server 2016

2 answers

1 vote
eiger3970 September 23, 2018

I have the same issue.

I suspect the issue is the Atlassian walkthrough guide is messy and non-linear. I have had to navigate forwards and backwards and have become lost where I am up to.

Regardless, I have proceeded to this part of the setup and noticed the Atlassian walkthrough jumps over the 'how to connect jira to mysql' or something along those lines.

Everything is default and has been very difficult.

Here's the code in the logs when trying to 'Set up application properties' when I select next.

[code]

2018-09-24 09:11:13,856 http-nio-8080-exec-15 ERROR anonymous 551x49x1 z1whuc 192.168.1.120 /secure/SetupApplicationProperties.jspa [c.a.j.w.action.setup.SetupApplicationProperties] Error activating indexing with path 'null': com.atlassian.cache.CacheException: com.atlassian.cache.CacheException: com.atlassian.jira.exception.DataAccessException: org.ofbiz.core.entity.GenericDataSourceException: SQL Exception while executing the following:SELECT ID, pname, URL, LEAD, DESCRIPTION, pkey, pcounter, ASSIGNEETYPE, AVATAR, ORIGINALKEY, PROJECTTYPE FROM project ORDER BY pname (You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ', DESCRIPTION, pkey, pcounter, ASSIGNEETYPE, AVATAR, ORIGINALKEY, PROJECTTYPE FR' at line 1)
com.atlassian.cache.CacheException: com.atlassian.cache.CacheException: com.atlassian.jira.exception.DataAccessException: org.ofbiz.core.entity.GenericDataSourceException: SQL Exception while executing the following:SELECT ID, pname, URL, LEAD, DESCRIPTION, pkey, pcounter, ASSIGNEETYPE, AVATAR, ORIGINALKEY, PROJECTTYPE FROM project ORDER BY pname (You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ', DESCRIPTION, pkey, pcounter, ASSIGNEETYPE, AVATAR, ORIGINALKEY, PROJECTTYPE FR' at line 1)
at com.atlassian.cache.memory.DelegatingCachedReference.get(DelegatingCachedReference.java:91)
at com.atlassian.jira.project.archiving.ArchivedProjectStatistics.getArchivedIssuesCount(ArchivedProjectStatistics.java:28)

at com.atlassian.jira.issue.index.DefaultIndexManager.size(DefaultIndexManager.java:749)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
... 1 filtered
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
at com.atlassian.jira.config.component.SwitchingInvocationHandler.invoke(SwitchingInvocationHandler.java:38)
at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy167.size(Unknown Source)
at com.atlassian.jira.task.context.Context$Builder.build(Context.java:186)
at com.atlassian.jira.util.index.Contexts.percentageLogger(Contexts.java:34)
at com.atlassian.jira.web.action.setup.SetupApplicationProperties.doExecute(SetupApplicationProperties.java:155)
... 1 filtered
at com.atlassian.jira.action.JiraActionSupport.execute(JiraActionSupport.java:63)
... 7 filtered
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:742)
... 48 filtered
at com.atlassian.greenhopper.jira.filters.ClassicBoardRouter.doFilter(ClassicBoardRouter.java:62)
... 12 filtered
at com.atlassian.web.servlet.plugin.request.RedirectInterceptingFilter.doFilter(RedirectInterceptingFilter.java:21)
... 58 filtered
at com.atlassian.jira.security.JiraSecurityFilter.lambda$doFilter$0(JiraSecurityFilter.java:66)
... 1 filtered
at com.atlassian.jira.security.JiraSecurityFilter.doFilter(JiraSecurityFilter.java:64)
... 39 filtered
at com.atlassian.jira.servermetrics.CorrelationIdPopulatorFilter.doFilter(CorrelationIdPopulatorFilter.java:30)
... 10 filtered
at com.atlassian.web.servlet.plugin.request.RedirectInterceptingFilter.doFilter(RedirectInterceptingFilter.java:21)
... 4 filtered
at com.atlassian.web.servlet.plugin.LocationCleanerFilter.doFilter(LocationCleanerFilter.java:36)
... 26 filtered
at com.atlassian.jira.servermetrics.MetricsCollectorFilter.doFilter(MetricsCollectorFilter.java:25)
... 24 filtered
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.TaskThread$WrappingRunnable.run(TaskThread.java:61)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 1, 2018

In your case, it seems clear you are having a SQL exception during the setup.  This would tend to indicate that the database is not setup correctly, or is not supported by Jira possibly.  From your error it looks like you're using mysql.  Is that correct?  What version of Jira are you using? What version of MySQL are you trying to use with this Jira?

MySQL also has the added step of requiring you to download a JDBC driver file and copying that to your $JIRAINSTALL/lib/ folder in order to let Jira be able to connect to a mysql database.   I am curious to see if you did that step and if so, what version of that database driver you selected.   Current versions of Jira need to use the 5.1.xx version of that driver and not the 8.x versions.

I would recommend checking the corresponding Supported Platforms page for your version of Jira to make sure that your specific database type/version is actually supported to be used by Jira.

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 2, 2018

I'd guess the database is not setup correctly, but that's just a hunch.   Go into your $JIRAHOME/log/ folder, then open up the atlassian-jira.log file to see whats in there.   I would suspect that you would probably have some kind of ERROR messages logged there that would tend to help explain why jira can't continue.  

Since this is an initial setup page, I have seen instances that are trying to use an unsupported database, or don't have their database setup per the Connecting Jira applications to a database.   If it's not obvious, post back with the recent log entries and I'll try to help troubleshoot some more.

Andy

Pakpoom Numkamnurde July 17, 2018

@Andy Heinzer i test fully install on Win10pro it work fine, but when i try on window10pro on esxi 6.5 i found the same case. what should i do after go to that logs.

and after i re-run it still go to that page, how to remove config to start at first page of installation?

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
July 17, 2018

If you want to remove your existing configuration, you can simply delete/remove the $JIRAHOME/dbconfig.xml file.  This file determines how Jira connects to your database.  If Jira starts up without a database defined there, you will get the setup wizard once more.

You might also want to take a look at the $JIRAINSTALL/log/catalina.out  This is the log file created by Tomcat, the webserver Jira is using to start up.   Sometimes this file will log more detailed info than the $JIRAHOME/log/atlassian-jira.log file will show.

Many Thank for you advise , i ll try and return feed back ASAP tomorrow.

it seem because DB config problem?

i try to deleted all file and folder after uninstalled then reinstall again but it doesn't work still stuck on same page after click NEXT button.

This is logs

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NYhpVcaX47k2ARi-lFgBvM_tnj4-00rB/view?usp=sharing

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
July 18, 2018

From looking at your logs I found these two errors:

2018-07-18 01:19:49,553 http-nio-8080-exec-7 ERROR anonymous 79x9x1 112cix3 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1 /secure/SetupDatabase!connectionCheck.jspa [c.a.config.bootstrap.DefaultAtlassianBootstrapManager] Could not successfully test your database: 
java.sql.SQLException: Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

2018-07-18 01:22:11,822 http-nio-8080-exec-5 WARN anonymous 79x11x1 112cix3 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1 /secure/SetupDatabase.jspa [o.o.c.entity.jdbc.SQLProcessor] [SQLProcessor.rollback]: SQL Exception while rolling back insert. Error was:com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.jdbc4.MySQLNonTransientConnectionException: Can't call rollback when autocommit=true
2018-07-18 01:22:11,822 http-nio-8080-exec-5 WARN anonymous 79x11x1 112cix3 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1 /secure/SetupDatabase.jspa [NoModule] org.ofbiz.core.entity.jdbc.SQLProcessor
com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.jdbc4.MySQLNonTransientConnectionException: Can't call rollback when autocommit=true

These are clear indications that the problem is in regards to the SQL database Jira is trying to use.  The first error message indicates that the user account is getting an access denied.  It could be the password Jira has for this account is incorrect.

The second error is in regards to SQL trying to revert a transaction that it can't seem to do.  Since this appears to be a new setup, it will probably just be easier to follow these steps:

1. Stop Jira
  2. Create a brand new, empty database per the corresponding guide in Connecting Jira to a database.   If you're wanting to use MySQL, use this guide: Connecting Jira applications to MySQL
  3. In that same guide you will then need to update Jira's $JIRAHOME/dbconfig.xml in order to tell the application of the database settings.  I recommend that you create a new/differently named database instance here from your previous name.  
  4. Start Jira again

You will still need to complete the setup wizard, as when Jira starts with an empty database that is expected.  But right now, it looks like the problem is that either the database is not setup correctly, and/or Jira does not have the database rights/permissions to function as expected.

Suggest an answer