Service Request with Approvals - Doesn't always work

Jessi Rhine December 1, 2017

I've chosen a request type:  Service Request with Approvals.  The form works fine for some people.  But others who try it cannot enter an approver.  The "Approvers" field never auto-fills a name.  It also never pops up to say "please enter one character or more".  And no matter how they type in a name of someone who is in the system (email address, short name, firstname last name, etc) it never works.  Not any combination.  They cannot submit a helpdesk ticket because I made the field mandatory and they can't get past that field.

Other people in my company have no issues.  The Approvers field works fine.

Why is it OK for some but not ok for everyone?

1 answer

0 votes
miikhy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 1, 2017

Hi Jessi,

There is a global permission called "Browse Users". This is usually the first place to look when people can't fill in a user picker type custom field. Can you check if all your Service Desk customers have this permission?

Thanks

Jessi Rhine December 4, 2017

I am very new to Jira.  I'm having a hard time finding permissions. Where are global permissions?  What menu?  User management?  Project?  Thanks!

miikhy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 4, 2017

Hi Jessi,

Here is a full documentation on Global Permission. As a Jira Admin you should read it carefully to understand better the scope of thos permissions which applies to the whole instance :)

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/managing-global-permissions-802592439.html

Hope this will help!

Jessi Rhine December 8, 2017

So my co-worker helped to find that area and it appears as if they (Jira Service Desk Users) do have permissions to "Browse Users".

Does "Browsing" require Java or some sort of plug in or pop-up allowed?

jirapermissions.png

miikhy
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 11, 2017

Hi again,

There's a difference in Jira Service desk between users and "customers".

Users are standard Jira users who are allowed to access the application while customers are people with a username but no Jira license. In order for those customers to browse the users, you'd have to allow this to "Anyone" which is a virtual group including the whole directory. Could you please try it out?

Thanks!

Suggest an answer