Service Desk Overrides Custom Permissions (Tempo Timesheets)

Marcus Dmo November 2, 2019

I'm experiencing the exact same issue as described in JSDSERVER-1641 (https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDSERVER-1641

Running Jira v7.12.1 and Jira Service Desk v.3.15.1. 

We have 3 support agents, and 7 jira users. The latter is mostly working as developers, that should be able to track time, comment and be assigned to issues on our 1 Jira Service Desk Project. However, we get the following explanation when running *Permission Helper* to try and find out why a user cant be assigned:

🛑Jira Service Desk has overridden this permission

The user must have a Jira Service Desk license and Service Desk Agent permission on this project.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 4, 2019

Hello Marcus,

Thank you for reaching out.

Please, allow me to bring you some concepts so we can better understand your issue and confirm that we are on the same page:

The bug you mentioned was reporting specifically that non-agents users were not able to view the work logs panel of Tempo plugin. This bug was fixed in version 7.6 of JIRA Server, so can you please confirm if the worklog entries of your Tempo application are properly displaying?

About this statement:

The latter is mostly working as developers, that should be able to track time, comment and be assigned to issues on our 1 Jira Service Desk Project.

This is related to a different set of permissions not related to the bug. In fact, JIRA software users have limited access as intended. As described in this documentation, they can not be assigned to issues, add comments to customers or register work logs in service desk projects:

Involve Jira Software or Jira Core users

You can give users with Jira Software or Jira Core licenses permission to view and comment on service desk issues without a Jira Service Desk license,only if Jira Core, Jira Software, and Jira Service Desk are licensed on the same Jira instance.

To involve Jira application users:

1. From your service desk project, selectProject settings>Users and roles.
  2. Add users to theService Desk Teamrole.

These users can:

• View issues, comments, and attachments 
  • Add and delete their own attachments and internal comments 
  • Watch and vote for issues 

These users can't:

• Leave comments for customers 
  • View queues, the customer list, or reports 
  • Transition service desk issues 
  • Log work on a service desk issue 
  • Be assigned to a service desk issue 

That being said, if you want to integrate your JIRA software users work with service desk projects, I recommend you to create linked issues in a Core/Software project, where they will be able to track their work and still add updates as an internal comment to the related Service Desk tickets.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Marcus Dmo November 10, 2019

Hi Petter, thank you so much for taking the time to answer. 

I think I understand the issue then. I misunderstood what Tempo Support told me about how the time tracking permissions work. We'll have to solve this with the solution you mentioned I think. 

Thanks again for the thorough answer. 

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 11, 2019

You are welcome, Marcus.

Let me know if you face any questions while configuring those steps.

Suggest an answer