Server to Cloud Jira Project migration

Filip Cicvárek (yachting°com) February 19, 2018

I need to migrate our Server Jira version (data, workflow, boards...etc) - which only consists of one project, into Cloud version that already has some live projects.

How to get around the issue of overwriting the existing cloud data?

Thanks

3 answers

0 votes
Evanna McMahon February 1, 2019

Did you find any alternative workaround for not overwriting the existing cloud data ?

0 votes
Danyal Iqbal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 19, 2018

How to get around the issue of overwriting the existing cloud data?

This is not possible. Watching for a decent workaround.

0 votes
Francesc Arbó
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 19, 2018
Filip Cicvárek (yachting°com) February 19, 2018

This is actually no solution to my problem, as "This will completely overwrite the Cloud application and erase all existing data."

Francesc Arbó
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 19, 2018

Hi @Filip Cicvárek (yachting°com),

Then, it's a little more soffisticated. Although this is not an official solution, what I would try is:

• Upgrade the first server instance to the latest version.
  • Prepare a clean Cloud instance.
  • Try to migrate the server instance to Cloud (just to know if you will find some errors in the process).
  • Install a second clean instance and migrate the cloud instance to the clean server instance.
  • Merge both server instances.
  • Try to migrate the merged instance to the second cloud instance (just to know if everything will go Ok or if you will find some errors).
  • Once sure the process will go Ok, migrate the merged instance to the cloud.

I didn't try it and there are some points to verify:

• In the Jira server instance, the users are in the jira internal directory? Otherwise, this will cause you problems.
  • Do you have anything customized with development?
  • Do you have additional apps intalled in the server instance? Are they compatible with the cloud instance?
  • Dou you have attachments? If so, are they quite big? Remember to upload everything to the cloud and you have some limit (I think it's 1Gb or less so you'll need to split this file)

Hope it works.

Suggest an answer