Server id changed in the update 7.1.8 -> 7.4.4

Riku Nykänen September 11, 2017

We updated our Jira instance from 7.1.8 to 7.4.4, but upgrade process hanged. After reboot of the server and retry, a new server id was generated and the old license was obsolete. What options are there to change license back to valid?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 12, 2017

Hi Riku,

You can do the following:

1. Update your Server ID at my.atlassian.com -or-
  2. Attempt to correct your Server ID in the database using a database query, such as the ones outlined in this previous Community post.

Let us know if you have any trouble!

Kind Regards,
Shannon

Riku Nykänen September 12, 2017

Thanks for advice. For the solution 1) there does not seem to be option to update server ID for acquired license key in my.atlassian.com. I can see the SEN, license key and other details, but not the server key. Or the option to change the server key.

And for solution 2)  we don't have the old server key as it was overwritten by the update process. If there is no easier option, we can try to recover the old key from database backup tape.

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 13, 2017

Hi Riku,

I spoke with the Advocates team, and got the following information for you:

1. If it's a paid license, the server ID cannot be changed, but this shouldn't matter since we only use it for internal tracking purposes. You can just copy-paste the license key to your instance and it should function normally.
  2. If it's an evaluation key, then you'll need to generate a new evaluation key and use the new server ID generated.

Can you give that a try and if you still have issues, show me the error message you are receiving? You can censor out your Server ID/license information.

Kind Regards,
Shannon

Riku Nykänen September 13, 2017

Hi Shannon,

we found the solution. The problem was that applied license key was too old, bad me. It was from previous support period and we did not compare complete keys, only few characters from start and end. We copied the new license key from my.atlassian.com and everything runs fine. Thank you for your assisstance!

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
September 13, 2017

Thank you! Actually, I suspected that could be the case as well since you were performing an upgrade.

At any rate, glad you were able to get a new license and get Jira back up and running!

Take care and have a pleasant rest of your week.

Kind Regards,
Shannon

Suggest an answer