Send mail from ProjectA to ProjectB

Andreas Denzler November 30, 2020

Hi everyone,

is there a possibility to send mails from one project in jira to another project?

I think the problem is that sent mails from Project A have the subject "[Jira]ProjectA-42" and therefore normally get associated to ProjectA and within this project to issue ProjectA-42, so it gets filtered out.

Is there a way to solve this problem and anyway send mails from ProjectA to ProjectB ?

Thank you and best regards,

Andi

3 answers

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 5, 2020

Hi Andi,

apart from what was already said it is questionable if the mail sending from Instance A -> A (staying on the same instance) works at all.
I remember there was a thing about a "Fingerprint" added to each outgoing mail which prevented in a very early state which you are planning to do.

More information to this is as I remember this article:
https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/logs-contain-received-message-carrying-this-jira-instance-fingerprint-due-to-mail-loop-detected-191005382.html

Regards,
Daniel

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 30, 2020

That's down to how the Jira email handlers are written to try to work out what issue/project an email is about.  The simple rule is that "if we find an issue key in the subject, then the message is about that issue"

So, with plain Jira, your email from A to B is a non-starter, as the subject tells Jira the issue is always about the issue in A.

You will need to code to fix this, either writing your own email handler that can detect when an issue that appears to be for the issue in A is actually for an issue in B, or finding an app that can handle that rule.

Before going down that route though, I would actually recommend evaluating why you are doing this email instead.  If you're willing to "fix" it by coding or apps, then there's probably far more simple code or dedicated apps that can achieve the same as an incoming email, and probably better.  (The email handlers would comment or create, with code, you could do things like comment, create, fill custom fields, add links and and and)

Suggest an answer