Select list with options the values in this field from other issues and the option to add new values

Anna Protopapa August 8, 2017

I need to have a new customized field, type 'select list'. The options must be the values in this field from other issues. Also we want the option for the user to add new values as options in this select lst. 

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 8, 2017

That's going to require an add-on for a new field type.

It's also going to be quite a hard one - the baseline select list is a set of options in a llist set by the admins.  You're asking for a dynamic recursive list where the option list is drawn from existing issues, and of course, the ability to add ad-hoc ones (without being an admin and doing it from the interface).

However, what you are asking for is pretty much a "labels" field.  It's not a drop-down, by  it will suggest existing entries as people type.  That's probably a far better option than writing a new field type.

Anna Protopapa August 8, 2017

Thank you Nic,

I want this field for the error messages. If I use a label field then my message is broken to many labels. I saw an answer to use - or _ but we do not want to say to our users to write the message in such way. 

Is there an add-on we can use?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 8, 2017

Not one that does it the way you describe.

There is another option.  With the ScriptRunner add-on, you can create "Behaviours".  To get close to what you want:

• Create a simple select list with some of the errors you know about already
  • Add a last option with a name like "New error"
  • Create a new short text field, again with a name like "New error"
  • Use a ScriptRunner Behaviour to hide the text field until a user selects "new error" in the select list

For bonus points, you could write a script that says "when a developer accepts an issue with a new error logged, automatically add it to the options in the select list"

Anna Protopapa October 26, 2017

Is it possible to implement the above option for Jira Service Desk portal?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 26, 2017

Behaviours does not work for Service Desk yet, but I'm told it's on the roadmap for very soon.

Anna Protopapa October 29, 2017

For now, is it possible to implement this functionality in the customer portal using Web Resource Built-In Script?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 30, 2017

Not that I know of.

Suggest an answer