Seeing a burn down based on Σ Original Estimate

kateu January 19, 2021

Hi - I would like to set my scrum board to burn down based on Σ Original Estimate. That is, as the sub-tasks of a task have time logged or are completed, I want to see this reflected in the burndown. Is this possible? 

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 20, 2021

You do not burn down on sub-tasks when you're doing Scrum, and hence Jira does not support it.

kateu January 20, 2021

But if my sub-tasks all have a original estimate, completing sub-tasks is basically logging time. If my user story has a sigma original estimate of 1 week, and a sub-task has an original estimate of 1 day, why shouldn't the remaining time be 4 days once the sub-task is closed? 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 21, 2021

There's no "but" here.  You do not burn down on sub-tasks. Whatever estimate is put on them is irrelevant to burn down.

That is not what burn-down is for.  It is not measuring time spent or partial completion.  It measures what you deliver against what you said you would.

kateu January 23, 2021

So, the sigma original estimate is just a convenient way to add the original estimates of my sub-tasks. If I log time on my sub-tasks, there is no way to show "sigma logged time." I have to log time only on the parent ticket for remaining time to show. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events