Secured Network. What Firewall rules/URL's are needed to activate and get updates?

Charles Benjamin April 6, 2019

I am unable to activate my Jira Standalone install in my Dev environment. I am blocked by security. I need to get the URL(s) and Ports required to activate my installation. I am also hoping that this question causes Atlassian to add this info to the installation documentation. It is not terribly unusual for Dev environments to be isolated.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 6, 2019

To get updates, your network needs to be able to reach https://marketplace.atlassian.com so you'll need to think about port 443

This is in the docs, but it's well buried.

Charles Benjamin April 6, 2019

Thank you. Does this include the activation of the license key or just the updates?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 6, 2019

Updates.  You don't need any connectivity (beyond the Jira server to the client (browser) you are using) to paste in a licence key.

Charles Benjamin April 8, 2019

Hi Nic,

Thank you for responding. Unfortunately it appears after putting in the key the server calls out to some sort of activation site to validate the key. So when you accept the key it errors out with a message that the license fails to activate because it cannot validate the key. 

Steve Sobol June 23, 2022

I have the exact same problem.

I'm trying to activate a Jira Data Center license right now, and the Jira server sits on a DMZ that does not have outgoing Internet access.

If there's a way to activate the software without having the server try to call home to Atlassian, I need to know about it, please.

0 votes
MJ February 8, 2022

Running into this also and unable to find the info in the documentation. Did you ever find this info?

Suggest an answer