Search Custom Field Value

John O-Connor January 15, 2018

I have created a custom field called "Case #" from the Text Field (single line) standard field type. This field only shows up in a single project and only has numeric-like values (e.g. Case # = 1234567).

I am trying to search for all issues with a specific Case # value. After reviewing much documentation, I'm able to do this with a JQL query as follows:

project = projectA AND "Case #" !~ 1234567

I have 2 questions:

1) My understanding is that the !~ operator is supposed to be mean "does not contain". So why is this bringing up the correct issues when used in the JQL? I would expect the ~ operator to bring the issues up, but it does not. This is the opposite of what the logic I expected.

2) Is there a way to have the custom field indexed so that it and its values show up in a basic search done from the general search screen opened on the left side of the page?

Thanks for the help and explanation!

1 answer

0 votes
Bhushan Nagaraj
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 21, 2018

Hi John,

The != operator performs a "fuzzy search" and works best on text-based fields.

Considering Case# is always numeric, have you explored the option of using a Numeric Custom Field type instead?

Regards

Bhushan

Suggest an answer