Scrum of Scrum Board principles

Jörgen Pettersson January 24, 2013

If I create a "Master Board" and a "Team Board" of the type Scrum, and I catch an issue in both boards, it seems possible to create Sprints in either of the boards and assign the issue to the planned Sprints in each board. The two boards does not seem to recognize the both the Sprints until one have started the Sprint in either of the board.

I.e. It seems to be some kind of race. The first one to start the Sprint of his board wins the battle and that Sprint will be visible in both Boards.

I can not see the reason behind. Why are the Sprints local to the board unless started?! I think it is a problem during search of issues as well. You have no qlue to the planning unless browsing via the Board.

3 answers

3 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jörgen Pettersson January 29, 2013

Ok, apparently there is no one that can give an explanation to the current design. Case closed.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Alexandre Pelletier January 24, 2013

It seems stories don't get a Sprint assigned (in the Sprint field) until the sprint is started. Until then the rank is used to sort them through sprints. Which totally breaks if you have 2 boards:

Board1 and Board2 both have 1 active sprint and 4 more sprints (in the same project). = Fine.

When I take Task A from the backlog of Board1 and put it in sprint 2,3 or 4 it stays in Board2's backlog.

When I take Task A from the backlog of Board2 and put it in sprint 2,3 or 4 it goes into Sprint 2 of Board1.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 24, 2013
That is in fact by design. Sprint planning is maintained in the board and issues are not touched till start
Jörgen Pettersson January 24, 2013

Well I kind of expected that, but I am questioning the reasons behind the design. I can not see any any good reason for it to be local to the board if you want transparency between boards and also being able to get listings via the normal issue search.

Alexandre Pelletier January 24, 2013

Though they are touched incidentally; their ranking changes when you move them around future sprints.

Which prevents us from using Jira to plan our sprints since each team wants to manage their board but share the sprints. (See my other comment below)

Suggest an answer