Script Runner for Jira

Swarna Radha June 17, 2015

Good Day All,

My Team has recently started using script runner. But we would like to get some more information regarding it, for example regarding its limitations, what can we achieve using it and other other stuff like that.

We want to know if Script runner will be the ideal Tool or should we start considering other JIRA add-ons as well in paralell to it.

Can you Guys please provide us with relevant documentations or links, which might help us.

Regards,

Avinash Ramdin

Team Lead Tools Administration Team

Rubric Quality Consulting

Mauritius

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 17, 2015

It's pretty much impossible to describe something in terms of its limitations.  For example, I could say that script runner can't make tea, and no-one would argue.  Except that one of my colleagues did use script runner to switch a coffee machine on.  So even that would be a bad "limitation"

You need to examine what it does in context.  Start with what it says it does - it runs arbitrary code in JIRA, hooked into places where JIRA has the hooks to run stuff - a console for one-off scripts, the workflow conditions, functions and validators, listeners, the UI for the behaviours part of it.

What it can't do has to be vague because we don't have the context in which you want to use it.  The best I can do is tell you that it does not modify the UI, so you can't write screens or reports in it for end users, but even that's not strictly true because you could have "scripted fields" that are effectively report output.

The question really can't be about limitations, it has to be about what you need from your JIRA, then we can tell you "JIRA does that already, see X", "use script runner in this way" or "no, you need another addon"

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 17, 2015

And I completely forgot the last bit. Start at https://jamieechlin.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GRV/Script+Runner

Swarna Radha June 18, 2015

Hi Nic, Ok I've got the picture now. Thanks a lot for your clarification. Basically from now I'll give you a brief description of what we want to achieve on jira, so that you can have an idea if this is feasible or not. Regards, Avinash.

Suggest an answer