Schedule Issues Permission - Unable to delete a sprint

Anant Jain May 13, 2020

Hello,

I'm a project admin in our JIRA setup. I also have explicit Schedule issue permissions. But whenever I try to delete a sprint, I get the following error. The funny part is, this is a completely empty sprint. Not a single issue in the sprint.

How do I fix this? I assumed having admin rights should not result in this problem (based on my reading of other complaints with this issue.

I'm also unable to use the permission helper as this issue is with the sprint and not with a specific issue. Also as I mentioned above, there are NO tickets in the sprint at all.

5 answers

0 votes
Juan August 29, 2023

If you create a test ticket and start the sprint, you probably will see that there are some "Done" tickets in the sprint. Then you can just close the sprint.

0 votes
Alexander Tynetalo June 16, 2022

To delete a sprint you don't need Schedule issue permission, but the Manage Sprints permission. Please look at your Permission Scheme at check if your role has this permission

0 votes
Rodrigo Matias January 19, 2022

Hi,

I am facing the same issue.

Permissions checked and issues searched through JQL. Full permissions (admin rights) and the sprint is empty. No reports were used.

I already deleted the other ones. Just one is throwing the error message (error below).

Error

We couldn't make that happen because you don't have Schedule Issues permission.

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 28, 2022

One idea would be that the issue in question resides in a different project where the executing user does not have the "Schedule Issues" permission.

@Rodrigo Matias to delete sprint you don't need Schedule issue permission, but the Manage Sprints permission. Please look at your Permission Scheme at check if your role has this permission

0 votes
Thaney Cockrell November 3, 2020

Any more thoughts on this? I am having the exact same error. Not sure how to fix it. 

@Thaney Cockrell to delete a sprint you don't need Schedule issue permission, but the Manage Sprints permission. Please look at your Permission Scheme at check if your role has this permission

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 13, 2020

Hi Anant,

do you use "Sprint Report" and after that the menu with the three dots? If yes, which error message are you getting?

Cheers,
Daniel

Anant Jain May 13, 2020

Hi  @Daniel Ebers

Thank you for your reply. I do use the Sprint report feature but in this case, I'm trying to delete a sprint that wasn't started. This is in our Backlog board and I'm trying to delete an old, obsolete sprint:

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 14, 2020

Your screenshots seem not to come through here, maybe you can try to attach them again or to reflect the error you are getting?

Cheers,
Daniel

Anant Jain May 14, 2020

Hey Daniel,

Sorry about that. I keep getting an error when trying to attach screenshots.

JIRA Board.png

Anant Jain May 14, 2020

I'm using the delete option in the overflow menu. This is just for representation but I get the "Schedule Permission" error from the original post when I try to delete the sprint

Matt Pyle May 26, 2020

I have the exact same issue. The permissions helper says I have the "schedule" issues permission but I cannot delete some seemingly empty sprints in the "sprint report" section. There must have been an error in an import to create them in the first place.

Mads Ravn September 2, 2020

Same issue here. I try to use the Sprint report to delete old sprints, and I could remove one sprint, then I started getting the "Error We couldn't make that happen because you don't have Schedule Issues permission" response.

I'm a site administrator and I have Schedule Issues permission. 

Anant Jain September 2, 2020

@Mads Ravn : Check the filters for the sprint/board. Create a board which does not filter the issues by project for that sprint

In my case, someone had added a ticket from a different project in my sprint and it wasn't visible to me (due to filters) and the project that the errant issue was a part of was not accessible to me. 

Alternately, take a look at all the issues using the following JQL to view all the issues/tickets in that particular sprint.

sprint=<sprint id>

From here, check which ones are from a different project or possibly you don't have access to "schedule" modify and remove them from the sprint or gain access to that project.

Hi @Anant Jain - thanks.

You might be on to something. There was an issue from another project in this sprint. I moved that to the project I was trying to delete a sprint in, but that didn't help.

I still can't delete the sprint :( 

On a whim I checked every issue in that sprint for subtask, but there are no subtasks from other projects.

Like Anant Jain likes this
Anant Jain September 2, 2020

@Mads Ravn Which method did you use? Did you look for the issues in that sprint using the JQL query? For some reason, for me, the sprint board filter was still filtering out some issues and only the JQL helped identify the errant issue/ticket.

Unfortunately, I've not investigated or tried any other technique as my issue was resolved. 

@Anant Jain yeah, I used JQL :-/

Deleted user June 30, 2021

I face the same isssue,

We have an obsolete sprint that was not started and when i try to delete i get the error saying

"Error

We couldn't make that happen because you don't have Schedule Issues permission."

I have the schedule issues permission and i have also removed other project tickets from this sprint and still could not delete this sprint.

can someone please  help!

Merete Aarøy December 10, 2021

Hi

I had the same problem in my own internal project, and my solution was to give myself permission

Board settings - View permissions - add me as the role that the schedule issue is set. 

Suggest an answer