Scaling for JIRA - Seperate DB and App

Hossayn Ratlami August 4, 2017

Hi,

We currently have JIRA's application and its respective PostgreSQL DB on a single Windows VM. We are a team of 10 where we create hardly 5 tickets a week. We are planning to use it for a ticketing sytem also which may increases the number of issues created per day to 25-30 issues.

Is it alright to continue with the current setup or should I setup JIRA differently (different servers for app and DB)? Or change the DBto another like MySQL or MS SQL?

Thanks in advance

George

1 answer

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Jeremy M
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 4, 2017

Dear George,

With hardly 5 tickets a week.. this setup will not be any problem. When the environment grows however.. I would recommend you moving away from a Windows VM and to Linux. The Atlassian products are proven to be working faster on that OS.

Should the environment grow... I have a sizing guide for you here;

https://confluence.atlassian.com/enterprise/jira-sizing-guide-461504623.html

Friendly Regards,

Hossayn Ratlami August 4, 2017

Hi Jeremy,

What about as I mentioned when I create a project for ticketing purposes and start receiving 25-30 tickets in that project in a day(All in all, it will be still 10 users who will be using and creating issues)?

Since it is a VM, as from what I read in the sizing guide it should not be a problem to increase the memory to 32GB, CPU (already 2CPU/2Core) and storage.

The sizing does not mention that DB matters or the app and DB should be seperate so I guess it should be alright to stick to PostgreSQL and let the app and DB be on the same server.

Please do correct me if I am wrong.

Regards,

George

josh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 4, 2017

+1 on linux over windows.

For an instance your size, I think it should be fine for the application and database to be on the same server.

Maarten Cautreels
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 4, 2017

Hi Prajosh,

We've been running our JIRA+JIRA MySQL+Confluence+Confluence MySQL+Crowd on a single server for a couple of years for about 500 users and many issues.

By now we've expanded to about 2000 users and over 2500 issues a day so we split our JIRA + Crowd / JIRA MySQL / Confluence + Confluence MySQL into 3 servers :-)

The amount of issues being created on one day does not really matter to much. It's the amount of concurrent users/issues created that is more important for the performance of JIRA.

Oh and Linux Server +1

Best,

Maarten

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 4, 2017

I'm with Jeremy and Josh - your VM is more than adequate for your current usage.

If you do decide to move, then the best option is "what your teams know".  There's no point jumping to Linux if your expertise is purely Windows.  Or changing DB if you're happy with PostGres.  Given a completely free choice with no preferred systems, I would always recommend installing on Linux with a PostGres back-end. 

Application and database on the same server or separate doesn't really matter until you get to a large system.  I run my personal ones separately, but that's because I tend to try to run them like most of my clients so I've got stuff to tinker with, not because it's "better"

Suggest an answer