Save JQL with brackets in Quick Filters

Vitalii Stavropolskyi November 26, 2020

Hi!
I have a Kanban board and try to set up some Quick Filters.
I cannot save JQL that consists of brackets for the logical rule. They just disappear.
So, I cannot save the JQL like this
any_filed = smth OR (any_filed = smth2 AND another_field = smth3) 

I get the same, but without brackets:
any_filed = smth OR any_filed = smth2 AND another_field = smth3

It doesn't look like an expected behavior and I cannot create sophisticated filters.

1 answer

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Martin Bayer _MoroSystems_ s_r_o__
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 26, 2020

Hi @Vitalii Stavropolskyi , welcome here on the community :).

I just checked on my instance and following JQL behaves as you described:

1. assignee = currentUser() OR ("Change risk" = High AND "Change type" = Normal)
  2. -> Save ->
  3. assignee = currentUser() OR "Change risk" = High AND "Change type" = Normal 

But this JQL behaves correctly

• assignee = currentUser() AND ("Change risk" = High OR "Change type" = Normal)
  • -> Save -> 
  • assignee = currentUser() AND ("Change risk" = High OR "Change type" = Normal)

But I think it is because of optimization of the JQL query, because AND (as logic operator) takes precedence over OR.

So JQL on row 1 is the same as JQL on row 3 (I mean both means the same - logically)

Vitalii Stavropolskyi November 26, 2020

Thank you @Martin Bayer _MoroSystems_ s_r_o__ for the answer and investigation!

It is really an explanation.

Just didn't expect this optimization on the fly. In my case, I have 8 logical operators in a row and brackets helped me to structure this query. But the most important is to be sure it works as expected. Thanks!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events