Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Sample Project to explore for a newb

Hi Community,

I am completely new to Jira and is looking for a complete kanban sample project to explore and see how things can be done.

I have spent hours searching communities etc. for this and have repeatedly been stepping on the threshold:

Jira Issue.PNGAll videos, tutorials etc. that show how to generate this seems to have some years on the clock.

Is it possible to get hold of a sample project when I am using Jira Software Cloud today (2021)

In advance I thank you!!

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Dirk Ronsmans Community Leader Mar 22, 2021

Hi @Morten Dremark-Larsen and welcome to the community,

It seems the "sample project" is only available on Server/DC and not on Cloud.

What you can do is create a new blank project and then create a new board. On the board creation screen you can choose to create one with sample data

image.png

Hi @Dirk Ronsmans

Thank you for your reply. Led on by your answer I kept digging. It turns out, that one can not get the sample data in a board, if the project is created as a NextGen-project. Little detail - big difference :-)

Thank you for your assistance. 

Like John Funk likes this
Dirk Ronsmans Community Leader Mar 24, 2021

Ah yes, small detail with large impact.

Next Gen (currently being rebranded to Team Managed) projects are a whole different animal.

Like # people like this

It looks like you can still get sample data in Cloud, but it's kind of convoluted. As of April, 2021, using what's apparently the latest version of things, here's how I did it successfully for both Scrum and Kanban boards. (Note: This is a weird place this feature is buried and it seems like an afterthought; so it probably could disappear any time.)

* Create a New project. (Select Kanban or Scrum)

* It asks about using a Template. Select Use Template.

* Choose the "Company Managed" option. (This is important. If you choose "Team Managed" you won't get the sample data options coming up. It almost seems like they left in the Sample Data option by accident during an upgrade. Or, for whatever reasons, haven't added it to the Team Managed Option. Whatever. Choose Company Managed.

* Enter the project name and code. You'll end up with a new project.

* NOW you should be able to select, (from the left menu), either Backlog or Active Sprints and the 3 dot menu (...) should be on the top right.

* From the top right 3 dot menu, select Create Board.

* You should get a window and it lets you create a board, (scrum or kanban), with sample data. This will - perhaps oddly - create not only a board, but a whole new project. So it's a really odd place to have this functionality. Feels like an accident. But... it did allow me to get Sample Data.

Some have said just make your own test data or import some. But, like many, I find it really useful to be able to populate a test project with a bunch of sample data to try to learn new things or test some Jira configurations. It took a bit to find where this was buried. We'll see how long it lasts.

Like The Chris Remy Project likes this

Thank you! It still works as of June 2021

0 votes
John Funk Community Leader Mar 22, 2021

Hi Morten - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

I am not sure if there are any sample projects that come with the initial setup or not. If you go to Projects - View all projects, do you see any? 

Otherwise, I would just suggest you create a new project and play with it. You can delete it if you don't like it or it doesn't work for you. 

Hi @John Funk

Thank you for your reply. As commented on the other reply, I found a way around and located the sample data. 

In my opinion: To get something useful out of playing around with such a complex thing as Jira from empty scratch requires one of two prerequisites: 1) You have been exposed to similar products in operation. 2) You have an almost indefinite amount of time to spend "randomly" clicking around in the program.

When I teach new engineers how some of our complex machinery works, I start off by showing them the machinery in operation. We "kick some tires" and get a feeling for this iteration of the final product. Afterwards we start diving into the devilish details, but always with reference to their newly acquired "vision" of how a finished product can look (not defined as should).

This renders them useful to the organisation much much faster and they are much faster in feeling comfortable about expressing their now own opinion on how the next machine iteration can be improved. 

So that is why I was looking for a complete running sample project. Not as the one truth in the world, but a take on how things can be done - and then I can build from there :-)

Have a great day! I am off to play with the sample project :D

Like John Funk likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira

Admins, notify your Jira instance of system-wide changes with the new admin announcement banner

Hi All! We’re excited to share the launch of an announcement banner that lets Jira site administrators communicate directly to their users across their  Jira Cloud instance.  ...

378 views 13 14
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you