SSL/HTTPS and Upgrading to latest server version

Jake Bloomfield May 26, 2021

Dear JIRA Community,

We are looking to upgrade to the latest supported version of JIRA server (on-prem), however, we have HTTPS/SSL enabled on this instance.

The last time I did an upgrade, the HTTPS/SSL changes were lost and the instance became inaccessible. Thankfully, I managed to restore a backup... this was a long time ago.

Can I get some instructions on how to migrate the changes across to the upgrade version or any other steps involved? There isn't any official guideance on this.

Thanks in advance.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Joshua Sneed Contegix
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 26, 2021

Hi Jake,

It sounds like you failed to include the configuration of SSL in the original upgrade. As you may have noticed, modifications to the application will be lost during an upgrade and will need to be reapplied. The rough plan you need to follow is:

1. Upgrade similar to previously.
  2. Stop service (if needed).
  3. Apply SSL configuration.
  4. Start service.
  5. UAT/testing/etc.

As always, perform the following in a test environment and build out a solid run-/play- book. Cheers!

Jake Bloomfield July 1, 2021

Delayed reply, but wanted to say that after lots of planning and using a Development/Test server, I managed to successfully upgrade.

In the end, I paid more attention to the modified files and made sure that changes were migrated across, especially to the server.conf file where the https configuration is.

Thanks for you help.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events