SMTP Auth Failing as Anonymous

John Coyne January 18, 2018

Hi there, 

Trying to config Jira to send SMTP via O365 (Exchange) - Can verify that the connection to the server is successful, but when Jira tries to send test mail, it's being rejected by the server, because it says Jira's trying to send anonymous: 

DEBUG: getProvider() returning javax.mail.Provider[TRANSPORT,smtp,com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport,Oracle]
DEBUG SMTP: need username and password for authentication
DEBUG SMTP: protocolConnect returning false, host=smtp.office365.com, user=jira, password=<null>
DEBUG SMTP: useEhlo true, useAuth true
DEBUG SMTP: trying to connect to host "smtp.office365.com", port 587, isSSL false
220 CY4PR18CA0032.outlook.office365.com Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service ready at Fri, 19 Jan 2018 05:52:01 +0000
DEBUG SMTP: connected to host "smtp.office365.com", port: 587

its showing user=jira, password as <null> - which is NOT what's setup in the SMTP config.

Notification schema is set to default, which is suppose to take the creds entered in the SMTP setup dialogue. doesn't seem to be happening. 

I've tested the correct account with O365 and it seems to be working fine. 
Could use a little help. :-)

TIA, 
JC

6 answers

0 votes
Vincent Saleh December 1, 2020

I have also the same issue and see no solution so far:

DEBUG SMTP: protocolConnect returning false, host=smtp.***.**, user=root, password=<null>

Why the username/password is not taken into account?

Thanks

0 votes
Stefano Sbalchiero January 14, 2019

I have the same problem, someone have resolved it?

0 votes
Erik Lindström November 22, 2018

Same here, any solutions?

DEBUG: getProvider() returning javax.mail.Provider[TRANSPORT,smtp,com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport,Oracle]
DEBUG SMTP: protocolConnect returning false, host=smtp.office365.com, user=ALJIRA01$, password=<null>
DEBUG SMTP: trying to connect to host "smtp.office365.com", port 587, isSSL true
DEBUG SMTP: exception reading response, THROW:

Erik Lindström January 21, 2019

In my case it was outbounding ports that was closed!

0 votes
Peter Macdonald September 11, 2018

I am getting the same problem and have also recreated my Outgoing Mail configuration. Does anybody have any ideas?

DEBUG: getProvider() returning javax.mail.Provider[TRANSPORT,smtps,com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPSSLTransport,Oracle]
DEBUG SMTP: protocolConnect returning false, host=my.mail.host, user=jira, password=<null>
DEBUG SMTP: trying to connect to host "my.mail.host", port 465, isSSL true

0 votes
Pengfei Cui August 27, 2018

Similar problem here:

DEBUG SMTP: protocolConnect returning false, host=smtp.gmail.com, user=jira, password=<null>

I have configured the smtp password, and I have also tried deleting then recreating.

But still getting this password null problem.

0 votes
Moga
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 14, 2018

Hi John,

From the following based on what you have posted here:

DEBUG SMTP: protocolConnect returning false, host=smtp.office365.com, user=jira, password=<null>

It seems like the password is null as you have mentioned. Something might have gone wrong with the configuration. What if you just delete the Outgoing Mail configuration on JIRA and reconfigure it again? Do you have the same error?

Cheers,
Moga

Suggest an answer