SAFe EPIC and JIRA EPIC

Phx AZ October 2, 2018

Does an EPIC in JIRA map to a EPIC in SAFe Methodology?

Atlassian says: EPIC ( High Level, mapping to multiple User Stores) -> User Stories

SAFe says: EPIC ( Business Need)  -> Capability -> Features -> User Stories

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 2, 2018

I would say no (but my experience with SAFe is limited), SAFe Epics are on a higher level similar to initiatives and themes, if you are using Jira Portfolio. I would suggest to take a look at Scaled agile with Atlassian and SAFe®, the white paper that you can download describes how you can use Jira with SAFe. Also check out Agile at scale

0 votes
Rick Michaels October 4, 2019

SAFe has four models: Essential, Large Solution, Portfolio, and Full. Each uses a fit for purpose hierarchy of items. So...

SAFe portfolio has a four tiered system: value stream -> portfolio (epics) -> program (features) -> team (user stories and tasks for scrum practice, items for kanban practice). Jira out of the box has a two tiered system epic and user story. I have seen articles and third party solutions for creating the SAFe tiers in the portfolio model.

You need to decide on your SAFe model then find a way to implement that model in Jira.

By the way, SAFe epics can be business objectives or architectural enablers. Maybe a Jira issue attribute could be used for this distinction. 

Suggest an answer