Running Jira on a VM

KC April 18, 2019

Hello,

I am trying to run Jira on a VM through Ubuntu Server. I would like to access Jira from any computer on my network. I can access Jira through my VM but I am unable to do that from any other device. Can you please help me through the steps to make sure that I am doing this right? 

1. Download Ubuntu Server iso

2. Updated Ubuntu 

3. Downloaded Jira software

4. Set up

5. Started ssh server

6. Tried to connect from another computer using PuTTy or Remote Desktop and it didn't work. 

Do I need to create a tunnel from one computer to the other? 

Thanks. 

2 answers

0 votes
gs51 August 30, 2021

Yes, it works fine.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 22, 2019

Yes, you need to set up your network so that you can ssh (and later, browse) to the VM.

KC May 28, 2019

Hello again. Thank you. I am still struggling but I will get there eventually. I am having trouble with getting Jira to run as a service and restart when my server restarts. I dont understand why it is not wanting to run when my device restarts. I set it up to start as a service when I set up Jira. Do I have to keep on loading it similar to a new install? I am also having trouble accessing Jira through another computer even when we are on the same network (wi-fi). I do not have a firewall up on my Ubuntu machine (I turned it off) however, it is not running as a "server" persay (I have a GUI instead of just lines of code). I do have Samba installed. I do have Jira installed.

Please help!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 29, 2019

Is the machine it is on the Ubuntu machine, or is it running something else?

If it is the Ubuntu server, then after the next boot, try "systemctl start jira" - does that start it ok?  If not, then what are the errors?  If it does, try "systemctl enable jira" and reboot, again checking for errors if it does not start.

What are the errors when you try to "access Jira through another computer"?

Like gs51 likes this

Suggest an answer