Rolling Points up to an Epic

Chuck Diaz January 1, 2014

My familiarity and knowledge of JIRA’s Grasshopper is limited so please excuse me if this has already been answered somewhere.. In other products when an Epic is created it is customary for all Story Points, and any Task estimates to rollup under the Epic. This is so that when a board is looked at one can tell how big the Epic is that is going to be worked.

I cannot see this in the instance of JIRA that I log in to… Can you tell me if this is a configuration issue or is this a normal course of business for JIRA?

2 answers

0 votes
Ram Muthiah December 29, 2014

Story points under an Epic are not automatically rolled up and shown as total in the epic. You can follow the suggestion by Ubisoft. Still, you won't see the total story points under an epic. You still need to manually add the story points under sprint log(s) and backlog. 

0 votes
Ubisoft
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 2, 2014

Hi Chuck,

In your plan mode, you need to make sure that you have the 'Epics' tab showing, after which you should have a list of all of the epics that passed your board filter. From there you should be able to expand the epic to see the estimation statistic for that epic. Note that this can't be seen from the epic issue view screen, only from the plan mode.

Suggest an answer