Rolled up estimates not showing in Scrum Board

Ryan Gleim September 27, 2017

I use the Scrum board to plan my sprints based on orignal time estimates for my user stories. Each of my user stories has several subtasks. When I view a story in the issue view, the estimates are all rolled up correctly. However, the estimate field in the scrum board shows nothing rolled up and the detail view shows estimate as "unestimated". BUT the remaining field is properly rolled up in all views. See screen shots attached.  Am I setting this up incorrectly, or is this a bug, or both?IssueView_EverythingCorrectScreenshot.jpgScrumBoardView_MissingSubtaskEstimatesScreenshot.jpg

1 answer

0 votes
Marc Gervase September 27, 2017

Currently sub-task estimates do not roll up into the parent on the Planning board. There is a ticket open for some time to correct this that you can follow: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWSERVER-9167

From my experience it looked like JIRA was moving away from using sub-tasks on the Agile boards replacing them with the Epic relationship. This solution doesn't fix everyone's use case so I'm surprised it's taking long to implement.

Ryan Gleim September 27, 2017

I saw several different issues for this.  My questions is really more about how I'm SUPPOSED to do it.  The reason for the screen shots was because I am completely confused why it rolls up remaining on the boards, but not original estimates.  I thought, "ok... I will just manually put in the estimate in board view".  But when I enter 5 in that estimate, it add another 5 to remaining so then it shows 5 for estimate and 10 for remaining in board view, and 10 for estimate and 10 for remaining in Issue view!! I don't mind whether it works on doesn't work, but the inconsistency depending on view is driving me crazy!

My work around is just using story points (1pt = 1 day) for the board estimate and then it has no impact on rolled up time estimates in any view.

Suggest an answer