Roadmaps on Classic Jira Software projects

Esteban Diaz November 20, 2018

Is there a chance to use Roadmaps on Classic Jira Software projects?

8 answers

42 votes
Drew Heasman January 15, 2019

Please vote to add the missing feature to Classic projects https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-17214

9 votes
Rob Alvarez October 3, 2019

Not sure but I can say this....NextGen projects are great but limited to anyone outside of the hierarchy of project management. Classics are more configurable and more user-friendly to all but need the blend of NextGen (roadmaps\kanban integration). Playing around with Classic and NextGen side-by-side, I favor the allure of 80% of NextGen but must side with Classic for the sake of anyone else on the project. NextGen is good for a small team project that you are going to dictator the hell out of but in the grand scheme of things, classic is your best bet until features reach a point of usability. 

Royd Amias December 6, 2019

I agree with Rob's assessment. I've personally experimented with this in the cases of simple and complex projects. I would define complex in my case to mean that the project has dependencies on multiple teams and solutions being built outside of my current team. Small projects, in my case, refer to the groupings of work that folks in my immediate team would own and reside under the same leadership structure.

In the end it's leadership and managers who benefit the most out of Jira's Roadmap functionality, but does little to help the folks who are putting in the work to build whatever the project is.

Like # people like this
Lynton Bell June 22, 2020

Agree with Rob, feel the same re roadmap feature. 'add watchers' has gone from tickets too, argh!

8 votes
Luki May 7, 2020

It seems that this year we get Roadmap for Classic projects, hopefully

Wahab Hussain June 3, 2020
Like # people like this
Lynton Bell June 22, 2020

appreciate the shares guys

Shirish Sharma July 3, 2020

Great

Brian Robison August 21, 2020

Anyone know when roadmaps fro classic will be released? 

Like Andrii Melnychuk likes this
Jared Chmielecki August 21, 2020

seems like some people have it now! I am trying to figure out when I will / if I can sign up for anything to get it myself.

lynne ly August 25, 2020

Any idea on release date? 

Luke Scott August 26, 2020

I just got a notification and can use it on a classic project.

Staten_ Tyler August 27, 2020

Anyone know if they are going to fix the limitation in the Roadmaps for Classic projects in Cloud so you can see child issues that exist in other projects? Limiting the boards ability to only show child issues in a single project makes this pretty useless. If i could see the issues that belong to the epic that exist in other project the tool would actually be helpful.

Like # people like this
3 votes
Ana-Maria Erascu September 7, 2020

We now have roadmaps for classic projects! Check out how to enable them here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/enable-and-disable-the-roadmap-1004952906.html

thomas_knox September 7, 2020

Welp, I guess I am going to have to keep using a separate software for this. Only possible to enable for projects that do not share boards.... Why create some unnecessary limitation like this. I was so excited to see this feature, and was ready to move to JIRA fully for all my PM needs.

Calvin Tanudjaja September 11, 2020

Hello, do you know if we can use the roadmap on free plan? seems like I cannot find the board settings like the one in the link. Thanks for helping2020-09-11 18_05_24-Test - Jira.png

Dmytro Bazulin September 14, 2020

@thomas_knox wondering what software do you use?

3 votes
Matthew Bettinson August 21, 2020

In case this helps anyone - unless I missed messaging from Atlassian on this one (and I watch the associated ticket pretty closely!) it appears that 'Roadmaps' for 'Classic Projects' has suddenly appeared in the Jira cloud offering today!  It's labelled up as being in 'Beta' and myself and my organisation were not part of the advertised 'Beta' program so looks like this is now in a 'public Beta' release.

Some documentation has appeared for this- https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/create-manage-and-visualize-your-epics-on-the-roadmap-1004952901.html

I myself have followed the instructions to enable it and have been playing with it and it seems to be functioning pretty much like I'd expect after having used the 'Roadmaps' feature in a 'next-gen' project.

Enjoy!

Jared Chmielecki August 21, 2020

I tried creating a new board to see if it would have it, but it appears to be flagged on and off at a higher level than that. Hoping it rolls out quickly, I need it!

Like Matthew Bettinson likes this
2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 20, 2018

Not yet, and I suspect never - my guess is that classic software projects will be deprecated before roadmaps go into them.

hope not.... :( 

Like # people like this
Drew Heasman February 20, 2019
Like # people like this
Anthony Buck March 6, 2019

Jira classic has needed a roadmap view. Now that there finally is one, it's extremely limited and no customization. Could have made Jira classic so much more useful, but instead created a silo'd product. Now we have multiple incomplete products :(

Like # people like this
Dave Ingram May 28, 2020

Hey @Esteban Diaz coincidental to see your name here :-)

1 vote
mark.elford May 22, 2020

This is a couple of months away and in Beta. Standard and Premium capabilities being developed. Looking really good and very useful for planning.

See https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-17214 for further info.

Vincent Synan July 16, 2020

Any news here Mark? Im really interested in tying this into all my Classic projects.

Any updates would be appreciated.

Like # people like this
0 votes
Pavan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 20, 2018

Thanks!

Luki May 7, 2020

@ pavan Link not working anymore :-(

Suggest an answer