Revert to Default Permission Scheme

Josh Johnson July 21, 2021

I am using Jira Software (Cloud) Free version.   I have a permission scheme "Default Permission Scheme" that is used for all of my projects.  I imported a project from our on-prem instance of Jira Software into the cloud, which uses it's own customized permission scheme.  The import of that project also imported the custom permissions scheme, which are not available for use in the "Free version" of Jira Software (Cloud).   

So now I'm in a catch-22:

The permission scheme that was imported uses groups which do not exist in the cloud instance of Jira, so no one has rights to view that project (I'm an Org and Site admin, and even I cannot see those issues).

However, the free license does not allow me to edit permission schemes, or even change permission schemes for that project back to the default permission scheme (which the rest of my projects are one and works fine), so I can't change the view permissions for the project to be able to view the issues.

Is the only option to upgrade to a paid version of JIRA, fix the permissions issue and then move back to free version again?   That seems like a loophole that even Atlassian doesn't want you to do because they want you to either pay for the feature, or not use the feature.

In confluence cloud free, there's a button that you can press which essentially resets the project permissions back to "default" so that all logged in users have the same rights.   Is there an equivalent in Jira?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 21, 2021

Hi @Josh Johnson , welcome to the Community!

You're right that the Free plans don't allow modifications to the permission schemes. We don't automatically change projects back to the default scheme on Free sites in order to preserve the privacy of issues. This is discussed a bit more in Permissions and issue-level security in Free plans .

The workaround is to upgrade to a Standard plan as you mentioned. We offer a free 7 day trial (no credit card required) during which you can modify the permission schemes to add a real group, or switch everything back to the default scheme. If you choose to downgrade back to Free at the end of the 7 days, the schemes you've set will lock into place. We do hope that you find the Standard features useful enough to carry on with that plan afterwards, but this is a completely fine way of getting things sorted out if you'd like to continue on with Free.

Cheers,
Daniel | Atlassian Support

Josh Johnson July 24, 2021

Did as you suggested, and we were able to get back access to our project.  Thanks!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events