Restricting a group to a specific project

mariana October 31, 2019

Hello, I have Cloud version and I need to create a project for a contractor. I want for this group to only be able to see "Restricted Project". I followed the steps mentioned on another ticket:

* I Created a new group, "Contractor" and added the contractor users

* I Created a new blank permission scheme, "Restricted project" 

* I granted the permission to "Contractor" group for almost everything 

* I linked the new permission scheme to the "Restricted Protect"

* I granted the "Contractor" users "access on site" (so they can log in)

* I added the contractor users to the Project people and just in case added the group "Contractor"

* I gave the contractors a "developer" role (but I don't think it matters as we do not grant permissions to roles, we only do to groups)

--- So far so good. I logged in as one of the contractors users and tested the permission and indeed the contractor user could only see the "Contractor Project" and a few tasks I created on it.----
The problems begins with the creation of the Scrum Board:
* I created a Scrum board based on Restricted Project filter.
* When trying to "share the filter" I only had the following options for sharing it :
1- Project: I added the Contractor Project name
2- Groups: Here I did not have the option of the "Contractor Group" only: Public/All logged in users and  jira-users (Note: contractor users are not part of jira-users as this is the default for access to all jira projects)
So again when logged in as the contractor user I can see the issues but I do not see the Board/backlog/active sprint

Do you have any idea what am I missing?

FYI - I did not grant any permission from the "Global permissions" to the contractor users. When I tried adding them, they could suddenly see my other projects.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 31, 2019

Hi Mariana - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

The key is to grant the correct permissions to the filter attached to the board to the right persons. 

In this case, when you go to details from the filter, the permissions are either granted to a project role or to a group. No all project roles appear in the Filter permission area.

I think your best bet is to change the permissions from Project to Group, Then select the Contractor group. Be sure to Add it to the permissions before saving. 

I hope that helps!

mariana November 1, 2019

Hi John, thank you for your replay. I understand the permission issue. I agree that the contractor group should be added to the filter permission but as I mention above the problem is that I don't have the contractor group as an option to grant.
You see, the Group permission is a drop down list (coming from somewhere), in that drop down list I have the following options only:
1-Public

2-All logged in users

3-confluence users

4-jira-users (Note: contractor users are not part of jira-users as this is the default for access to all jira projects)

Do you know where should I add the contractor group in order for them to appear in this drop down list?

Thank you John again for your help.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 1, 2019

Ah, gotcha. Make sure you personally are in that group. If not, you can not do anything to link to that group. That goes with any group. 

You can add yourself to it long enough to share the filter with the group and then take yourself out afterward.

mariana November 3, 2019

I can see the group now! Thank you for your help! :)

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 3, 2019

Great!

Suggest an answer