Restore from backup, cannot access admin

David Haberthür August 18, 2017

For our small team we tried a cloud-hosted Jira instance (hosted by Atlassian).

Because we all liked it, we now installed a self-hosted version.
The setup works, test emails were sent, everything seemed fine.
To not loose our old issues, I've saved a backup from the cloud-hosted and imported it into our self-hosted instance.

Now I cannot log in to our instance anymore, since the password of the user account is different.
The password used for my Atlassian account does not work, and I cannot send myself a reminder, since the restore seemed to have nuked the SMTP settings...

I have full SSH access to the Linux server running Jira, how can I get back to work?
I.e. retrieve/reset the password of the admin user?

2 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 18, 2017

Cloud accounts don't get carried down, other than as a minimal skeleton without passwords etc.

Try logging in as sysadmin with a password of sysadmin

Thanks, that was not entirely obvious.
I was able to log in with the *sysadmin* combination.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 18, 2017

It's well buried in the doc for "migrate cloud for server", middle of the page, with no particular emphasis!

0 votes

I've seen [how to retrieve the admin password][(https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/retrieving-the-jira-administrator-192836.html#RetrievingtheJIRAAdministrator-2.Setthepassworddirectlyinthedatabase%C2%A0and), but entering the listed command in `psql` in the command line just gives me errors.

Maybe I'm also doing it wrong, but I've *never* worked with a PostgreSQL database before.

Suggest an answer