Restore a deleted Sprint

Nikki Bergendahl November 22, 2017

I deleted a sprint that had open cards/user stories by mistake, I guess.  I didn't realize I deleted it until days later when I tried to assign a user story to it and couldn't find it in my backlog.  From what I read the open stories moved to the next sprint below.  I have a gazillion stories in my backlog and it would be so much easier if there is a way to recover that deleted sprint and restore the stories assigned to it.  Note - I did not "finish" the sprint, I deleted it.  Thank you!!

8 answers

4 accepted

8 votes
Answer accepted
Jake Wauchope August 25, 2021

Another potential fix for this is to do the following:
- Create a new sprint with the details from the old sprint

- Run a JQL which pulls any issue updated by the user who deleted the sprint.
Sample: project = PROJECT AND issuekey in updatedBy("USER", -1d)

- Bulk change these issues into the new sprint

You'll lose your reporting for that sprint and can accidentally pull some extra cards unintentionally but this worked for us.  

libby.romfh November 2, 2023

Thank you for this, @Jake Wauchope . Just saved my day.

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nikki Bergendahl November 22, 2017

Nevermind folks.  I found my answer with the help of related content on the right listed.  I wish there was another option besides rebuilding from the database.  Shucks!

Like # people like this
Malek Mnif June 17, 2019

they should really have a confirmation pop up before you can delete a sprint that has assigned tickets or that is in progress. i just deleted a sprint instead of closing it and i did not even get the time to react or undo 

Like # people like this
1 vote
Answer accepted
Jaap Scheper July 21, 2020

We should really have a confirmation pop up before you can delete a sprint that has assigned tickets or that is in progress. i just deleted a sprint instead of closing it and i did not even get the time to react or undo 

I just deleted another team's sprint accidentally! :'(

maillm May 3, 2021

Were you able to fix this? I actually did the same thing and deleted another team's sprint and can't figure out how to get it back.  Please help!

Like Victor Cubas likes this
Victor Hugo Cubas Balbuena
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 2, 2023

I mistakenly created a sprint instead of a story, so by deleting the new sprint created by mistake, I deleted the previous sprint too! why is that? :( help

0 votes
Answer accepted
Surbhi Sharma June 6, 2019

You can actually recreate the new Sprint and pull the existing Jira stories that were part of that Sprint back into this new Sprint.

To locate those stories/tasks etc. you can either go to those issues any link issue like version/ Epic / or parent / child link if any is available and locate these issues and assign them to the new Sprint.

1 vote
Mir Sajid November 3, 2022

There is no defined feature to restore deleted sprint, however, there is a workaround which I figured out:

#1. 

Create a new sprint (same as deleted one)- Sprint_Recover

Create a JQL to fetch all issues filtered by 'not in' other sprints

In the same JQL filter by updated >yesterday and you will get all the required issues 

Bulk change and set sprint = Sprint_Recover

This will restore more than 95+% issues and all you filters and dashboard will display data

hope this will help!

1 vote
Nehal Dixit September 13, 2021

ok, this happened with me today where I was just trying to edit dates and by mistake deleted the sprint. 

first sight of losing sprint gave me rollercoaster euphoria. However, gladly I did create few sprint buckets which came in handy as deleted sprint items just fell from a deleted sprint into next one. I was vehemently searching jira items in the backlog but I did remember few ticket numbers that were automatically spotted in the next sprint bucket. All I had to do was starting new sprint and that resolved the whole issue. 

Jira needs to add an extra check to confirm with a dialogue box - are you sure you want to delete this sprint? yes then enter jira admin credentials 

0 votes
Shane Pahl July 24, 2023

If you're here, please read. If you deleted a Sprint, that's NOT equal to deleting issues, bugs, and tasks. 

After reading this thread and the linked article posted by @Nikki Bergendahl titled "Can I restore a Sprint along with its contents," I thought that I had deleted all of the issues within the sprint and there was no simple way to get them back. 

Yes, sure, you've lost all of your analytics/reporting on your sprint progress to date, but if you don't care about that as much as just having your cards, you likely did not lose your cards or their detail. All of the issues, stories and bugs should have just fallen to your backlog

Fortunately, after speaking with my team we were able to fully restore our current sprint with about 15 minutes of reviewing the backlog. We just created a new sprint with the same name and moved all the issues, tasks, and bugs back up. 

0 votes
Vish Reddy _Revyz_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 4, 2022

Hi @Nehal Dixit and Team,

Once you delete something in Jira you have lost that data forever be it issues, attachments or any of the configuration objects.

Thats what inspired us at Revyz to build an app for simplifying backing up your cloud Jira instance which includes issues, attachments, comments, configuration objects and more.

Please visit our market place page to see all things we can help you with protecting your data in your Jira cloud instance - Revyz Backup & Restore 

Additional information is also available at - Revyz Backup & Restore for Jira Software Cloud

Also note Atlassian recommends that you backup your data per the SaaS Shared responsibilities 

I would love to get your feedback on what we are doing and how to improve given an opportunity.

Thank you

Vish

Reference -

Atlassian, Customer Shared Responsibilities - Very good reference doc

Atlassian Security Practices - An excellent reference of Atlassian Security practices

Suggest an answer