Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Restart Automation Trigger after Editing

Hi team,

I've recently editing some automation triggers after they were erroring out and I'd like to confirm that they work. Is there a way to do a test trigger to confirm it works without actually running the enter workflow? In my case is release notes for when a new release type is created so really don't want to create a new release to confirm it has worked. Thanks and apologies if its been asked already!

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jack Community Leader Jun 23, 2021 • edited

Are you simply wanting to see if the rule triggers or if it would execute correctly? There’s no way to run a test Automation but not hav it perform the action. However, what I would suggest is to remove or comment out the action and execute the trigger and see if the conditions pass. This tests the trigger and the conditions but not the action obviously. 

Hi @Jesse Berkeley 

Agreeing with Jack's suggestion, and... for more intrusive automation rules, I create a test project (or Jira instance) and exercise them there first.  Once validated, it is easy for the site admin to copy them to target project(s) for final setup.

Other techniques are:

• change your planned trigger for scheduled or manual, allowing repeated tests without potential setup time
  • create a test import file to batch load issues in a test project to exercise the rules.  This saved me hours when testing metric measurement rules.

Best regards,

Bill

Thanks both, i eventually tested with a different issue type so confirmed it worked. 

Like Bill Sheboy likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Trello

🏊‍♀️ Atlympic Event: Trello

Hello Community!  Quick disclaimer: We are running a contest on Community (The Atlympics!) from July 23rd - August 8th of 2021. If you are interested in participating in this contest (prizes! ...

115 views 1 12
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you