Resource Planning in Jira

aounallah January 24, 2018

hello please can you help me to find out the guideline for ressourse planning ?  also where i can find this feature on jira 

3 answers

0 votes
Ericka Samuels
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 26, 2018

I've test driven both Portfolio and BigPicture.  My take on it is that Portfolio is better suited to sprint-driven cycles.  If configured correctly you can get a 'thermometer' view, team by team, sprint by sprint, of over/under allocations.  What I did not care for is that it does automatic leveling (like MS-Project) to balance out the allocations, and it's pretty difficult to manually override it, so your project timeline will get pushed out. 

BigPicture is a bundle of utilities, one of which is BigGantt, which is perfect for more traditional waterfall projects.  It does come with an SAFe Roadmap utility but I can't speak to that as I haven't used it yet.  BigGantt works great.  The nice thing about this is you can see overallocated team members, but it won't push out the end date automatically in order to load balance.

Most Marketplace plugins have a try-it-for-free period (usually one Atlassian billing cycle) so the best thing to do is try some of them out.  Usually you'll know within a few minutes if you can live with the tool or not!

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 25, 2018

Sebastian is correct.

Off the shelf, Jira focusses on task tracking.  Adding Service Desk and/or Software adds layers around managing the tasks in different ways, and to some extent Software does some resourcing stuff (mostly with Scrum or trying to make sure not to many issues are in flight)

But there are loads of add-ons that can help you with resource planning on top of that as well. 

Portfolio is Atlassian's own one (I say "own", I mean "acquired and then integrated")

The Tempo add-ons can help in different ways (financial, or helping you get humans in the right places at the right time)

BigPicture can help you visualise and re-arrange things

Cycle Control gives you another set of views on planning

and and and...  there's others you can use.  I'd take a look at what you want from resource planning and then trawl the marketplace.

0 votes
Sebastian Kleinholz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 25, 2018

@aounallahJira is not a resource planning tool. Probably there is a Plugin that supports this, but not out-of-the-box.

Suggest an answer