Resolution Fixed vs Resolution Done. What is the difference?

Ivaylo Stanev January 5, 2013

Hi,

We are OnDemand using a Kanban board.
Any idea what is the difference between Resolution Fixed and Resolution Done?

In the admin Resolutions section (Admin -> Issue Attributes -> Resolutions) by default I see them both. It says:
Fixed (Default) - A fix for this issue is checked into the tree and tested.
Done - GreenHopper Managed Resolution

How does GreenHopper manage this Done resolution?
Can I just delete it? I prefer to have only one Resolution for tasks done. This is confusing for developers.

Did some research:
https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/95906/greenhopper-simplified-workflow-doesn-t-allow-us-to-set-resolutions
https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/GH/Using+GreenHopper+Simplified+Workflow
https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/GHKB/Unable+to+set+issues+to+Resolved+using+Greenhopper+Simplified+Workflow

Found out that Simplified Workflow of Greenhopper "Automatically sets a resolution of 'Done' when issues move into the 'Done' column."

I still do not understand very well why I should have 2 resolutions instead of one?
Maybe Fixed is for tasks Resolved and Done for tasks in the Done column? Still confusing.

Any thoughts?

Cheers!

4 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 5, 2013

Don't delete it. When you create projects directly in GH, the simplified workflow created as part uses this resolution. I assume you have already created at least one now already, otherwise that resolution won't be there in the instance.

Even if you delete it, if you create a project again in GH, it will again come back. Two options:

1. If you want you can delete the 'Fixed' resolution (do a migration to Done for all the existing issues using this resolution). OR
  2. If you will never use GH to create projects, you can delete 'Done'. EDIT: Take care of the existing workflow and change the post condition in the 'Done' transition.
Ivaylo Stanev January 6, 2013

Why the Simplified Workflow does not use Fixed instead?
Why a new Resolution is added?

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 10, 2013

Good question, but I don't have an answer :(

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 10, 2013

Why not, added here - https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/GHS-7119

You may watch it, vote for it.

Ivaylo Stanev January 10, 2013

Why not submit to the GH team for evaluation/brainstorming. It is kind of usability issue that is very confusing.

1 vote
Dharmendra Singh May 21, 2019

Done---->  When any improvement or task is completed then we use done.

Fixed---->  When any bug is resolved by developer then we use fixed.

1 vote
Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 10, 2013

Hi Estan,

When you are following Agile methodology there is a "Definition of Done". I suspect that that is the reason why Atlassian introduced the new Done resolution. It is more global than Fixed.. Bug can be fixed but.. if you have an Story or an Improvement do you still mark this task as Fixed even if you were not fixing anything (only improving)?

Done covers more cases than Fixed. I personally using Fixed if something is broken and need to be fixed. For other cases I have Completed, Done, Answered, .. and other resolutions that are saying a little bit more about the problem..

Regards,

Mirek

0 votes
Dana Frost April 11, 2014

How do you "When you create projects directly in GH" is this a new feature of Agile? I think someone on my team must have done this and it triggered the creation of the "Done" resolution that we never wanted. We want to get rid of it but it sounds like it will come back of we "Create Projects directly in Agile" but I don't know what that means because all our projects are created the old fasion way :) Can you explain what it means to create project "using" Agile/Greenhopper?

Suggest an answer