Reports

Saaketh December 28, 2020

I would like to create the following reports in Jira

• Resource utilization is 70% or below need to have red flags
  • immediate visibility into resource utilization
  • ensure balanced utilization,
  • real-time visibility and improve productivity.
  • reports on the quality of the resource,
  • code quality etc that I could use for appraisals,

2 answers

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 28, 2020

Hi @Saaketh  -- I have some follow-up questions to help you consider what you want/need to report upon, and how you might use that information.

By "resource utilization" do you mean people or something else?

How do you define "productivity"?

From your comments, it appears your team is using Scrum.  How are you using "resource utilization" along with the Scrum framework's ideas? https://www.scrum.org/resources/scrum-guide

How do you measure the "quality of a resource" (person)?

Code quality is often subjective, following the practices of the software engineers in an organization.  What do your teams use to measure code quality and how is it part of your teams's workflow?

For the things you are considering measuring, how do you know those are the things to measure related to the teams' most-current concerns?

Thank you, and best regards,

Bill

Bill,

Thanks for the response, please look at my comments under your questions(Bold)

By "resource utilization" do you mean people or something else?

• People, if the person on the team is utilized properly or not
  • If the person is overloaded  or underutilized and set a flag

How do you define "productivity"?

• Currently, each team member is delivering 1(8 hours) storypoint per day, I want to increase team productivity cos the team fully knows the agile scrum practice and application knowledge.
  • I get the productivity by Committed vs Completed

From your comments, it appears your team is using Scrum.

• Yes we are using Scrum practice 

How are you using "resource utilization" along with the Scrum framework's

• Currently not using any resource utilization practice

ideas? https://www.scrum.org/resources/scrum-guide

• I have gone thru the above link its not giving anything about resource utilization practice or generating reports.

How do you measure the "quality of a resource" (person)?

Code quality is often subjective, following the practices of the software engineers in an organization.  What do your teams use to measure code quality and how is it part of your teams workflow?

• Currently, we are using SonarQube for code quality with a threshold 85 to 90.

For the things you are considering measuring, how do you know those are the things to measure related to the teams' most-current concerns?

I have gone thru some of the stuff online and got to know, but I am not able to achieve

Please let me know what all the add-ins I require to generate my required reports

Regards,

Saaketh

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 28, 2020

Hi Saaketh,

Jira knows several reports that you can use pretty much "out of the box".

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/generate-a-report/

In case you need something special (there is a big range from staff planning to SLA reporting) you might need to induct an App which you can find from https://marketplace.atlassian.com

Your list is quite extensive and quite general. In case you could outline more precisely what is needed a specific recommendation could be given.

Regards,
Daniel

Daniel,

we have basic Jira with default Addins, but i would like to

Higher management of my company needs a report which will satisfy the following points

what is the utilization for each resource

set a flag for any resource whose utilization lessthan 70% for each cycle (Sprint, quarterly,sixmonths, year)

if the resource is productive and knows overall productivity.

Bird's eye view in the entire organization with all projects,

As per resource, time utilization, productiveness, an effort so on

if help provided to me that would be great.

Regards,

Saaketh

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 28, 2020

There are, indeed, several approaches ranging from simple to highly powerful and complex.
Maybe other users will contribute later also sharing their experiences.

I can at least share that with Jira Cloud (starting with Premium plans) there is Advanced Roadmap (https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/features/roadmaps) which will (also) provide that high-level view you are aiming at.

The needed granularity will be a indicator if this suffices or if a even more complex implementation will be needed.

Much data can be gathered, as you said, from Jira with defaults - for example when looking at a Sprint Report and such.
Some users on the other hand decided for a project management solution which is capable of showing dependencies that you mentioned, for example, in a Gantt Chart.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events