Reporting on story points and time elapsed - is this possible?

Mandy Charles November 20, 2013

Is it possible to get reports/graphs on how long it has taken to complete issues of a specific story point value. Then moving this onwards is there a way to create a report/graph on flow time - so when an issue is added to a sprint with a story point value the time it takes to complete it (closed) and from In Progress to Closed as well?

3 answers

0 votes
Mandy Charles November 20, 2013

Thanks Justin, unfortunately we create stories in advance so created - resolved isn't a very effective measurement for us - it needs to be when the story is moved into a sprint.

Peter - we are looking at moving to kanban at the moment which is why it would be useful to be able to look at historic data and see averages for the flow of work

I know all the data I need is in JIRA I just don't know whether it is possible to easily extract it...

0 votes
Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 20, 2013

Hi Mandy,

Keep in mind that it's a very dangerous practice to start equalling story points to hours. People will start thinking in hours instead of story points and that will influence your scrum methodology.

I do think the Cumulative Flow Diagram might indeed give you some of the insight you are looking for (as Justin already mentioned).

Maybe you should take a look at implementing Kanban if 'flow' and 'cycle time' are important for you.

Best regards,

Peter

0 votes
Justin Leader
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 20, 2013

Okay, this is a really interesting question.

So my first thought is that the cumulative flow diagram might give you a glimpse into this data. You can create quick filters for ranges of story points. In this image, I've created one for Story Points > 10 (the display of the filter doesn't display the ">" very well).

So then you could also look at a created vs. resolved chart in a dashboard, and just use a filter for the range of story points that you want.

Suggest an answer