Replace email reporter with smart value

Stian Stiansen January 8, 2021

Hi!

We're creating issues automatically from Salesforce to Jira Service desk through email and when I create an issue then I see that the reporter field is populated by an email which is a service desk customer.

I would like to replace this "reporter" with an email (potentially) a user from the description of the ticket. I'm able to extract the email from the description, but when I push it in to the reporter field then I'm getting an error message like this:

ABH-2841 (Account ID "<example email>{color}{color:#000000} {color}{color:#201f1e}" does not exist. (reporter))

What I've found is that the first time an email comes in from a specific email then it creates an account as a "person" under service desk. The emails will come in from a automated email address which doesn't represent people.

How can I create the accounts through automation if the person doesn't exist already, and how do I assign it to the reporter field if it does?

Best regards,

- Stian Stiansen

1 answer

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 8, 2021

Hi @Stian Stiansen 

Are you using the built-in email handlers to create issues?  If so, I believe that you can alter the settings so that the reporter is automatically added as a user.  Please see here for more information:

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/create-issues-and-comments-from-email/

Best regards,

Bill

Stian Stiansen January 11, 2021

Hi Bill!

Thank you for your feedback.

What's I'm looking for is the ability to add "customers" as reporters of the Jira Helpdesk service by using a custom smart value instead of the email address which is sending the automated emails.

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-service-management-cloud/docs/what-service-desk-users-are-there-in-jira-service-management/

Let me know if you have any good ideas!

Have a great week!

Best regards,

- Stian Stiansen

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 11, 2021

Hi!

My understanding is that "customers" in JSD are not users, and that "reporters" are users.  With automation, I do not believe there is a way to add/create users within a rule, and there is a suggestion to do so here:

https://codebarrel.atlassian.net/browse/AUT-363

Stian Stiansen January 12, 2021

Hi Bill!

I managed to create a "reporter" by sending in a request from one of my personal emails. That email showed up as a customer, so I'm not sure if that's correct.

My challenge is that I'm using a standard email as the requests is coming in automated from a platform and not from personal email boxes.

I'm been looking into different solution like using aliases on the sender email etc.

Let me know if you get a good idea!

Have a great day!

Best regards,

- Stian

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 12, 2021

Sorry as I am out of ideas that I have actually tried on this one.  I have used the built-in email handler to figure that out.

Have you considered using an automation rule to parse the information in the issue, and then call the REST API function to add users, as needed?  Then you can assign them to fields like "reporter".

__Bill

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events