Reopen tickets negatively impacting burndown

Colleen Gotling June 8, 2022

In our workflow, we set the resolution to done once the ticket is ready for Sprint Review.  On the burndown, this shows the ticket as complete which is exactly what we want.  However, we don't deploy to production until after the sprint review.  So what is happening is that the tickets get reopened when they move to "Ready for Production".  The move to production is manual but there is an automation rule that runs and sets a few dates based on the current date.  I can't tell is moving the status is reopening it or the automation.  How can I show these tickets as complete in my burndown?  Basically, I need to "close" a reopened ticket.  The resolution is still done, but I need the burndown to reflect as done.  

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 8, 2022

Hi Colleen, I am trying to follow you here. It seems to me that you might benefit from the following workflow/process?

• two statuses set up as Done status category: Ready for Production, Released
  • your Sprint should have Ready for Production as the right most column and issues in Released should be excluded entirely 
  • have a Kanban board with your two Done statuses (Ready for Production, Released) to be used to manage issues into production

Basically, what I am suggesting is to leverage Ready for Production as your "sprint done" status/column here. If I am missing an important point LMK.

I totally understand what you are saying and it makes sense.  But to be clear, the "sprint review" status should not be resolved, correct?  The first time the issue shows as complete will be Ready for Production?  If I am understanding correctly, then our burndown chart will not show anything being completed until after our sprint review.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 8, 2022

It depends on your process. What is the purpose of Sprint Review? If the status reflects that the issue is not yet "Done" then it should not be in the right most column IMO. However if you desire Sprint Review to reflect done as it relates to your sprints then something like this...?

Sprint board (develop) --> To Do > In Progress > Sprint Review

Kanban board (release) --> Sprint Review > Ready for Production > Released

The Sprint Review is the demo to the stakeholders at the end of the  sprint but before releasing to production.  This is when we get signoff from the stakeholders of what can go to prod and what can't.  I will do as you suggest, I think that will work.   Thanks!

Like Jack Brickey likes this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 8, 2022

Cool. Let me know if the team finds the idea problematic and maybe we can tweak.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events