Remove sub-task from Scrum/Kanban board

Andres Gateno September 19, 2013

Hi,

I would like to know if there is any way to not show the sub-task on the Plan mode of the boards either in the Kanban and Scrum views. I would like to see on those boards only the User Story status without all the tasks beneath.

Andres

8 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
vkharisma
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 22, 2013

By default, Sub-task should not appear in the plan mode. They will only appear in the issue detail view on the right pane when you click on issue in plan mode. No configuration involved, as far as I know. In the other hand, sub-task will appear as individual card in the Work mode by default.

If you don't like this to appear in the work mode and only can be seen by opening the issue detail view or issue view in JIRA, you can create a quick filter to exclude sub-task.

Jay Sellers January 23, 2014

Using a quick filter is perfect. What is the query to exclude sub-tasks?

Jay Sellers January 26, 2014

got it

type not in subTaskIssueTypes()

Like # people like this
Paul Blundell November 13, 2014

You can add a "Work sub-filter" which is basically a quick filter that is always on

Deleted user June 25, 2019

This is brilliant. Thanks. Big help.

Gunka B December 10, 2019

Is there a chance to remove completed sub-tasks from sprint ? I have main task which is still active and should be visible on the board but sub-tasks are in column done and once the sprint is completed I want them to be removed (only from the sprint, not totally).

Like Deane-Schierloh, Ben likes this
sonal singh September 17, 2020

Yea you can do it by un-mapping the DONE status in the backend.

7 votes
Jeannette Lamb March 20, 2014

Check your agile board configuration. I found that I had unintentionally set swimlanes to "Stories". When I changed it to "No Swimlanes", problem solved!

Dwight Biddle March 20, 2014

Thanks Jnet, this worked like a charm! I never even thought to choose "No Swimlanes", I figured that would take out the swimlanes entirely.

Thanks again!

Justin McAuley April 19, 2015

This saved me too.. thanks for the tip

rocky rankin February 24, 2017

Thank you!  Worked like a charm

Like # people like this
lakshmi September 14, 2019

This wont solve the issue of - subtask do not want to be displayed. It will still display the subtask on the board . 

Like Jones.Stephenmoses likes this
Raj Vijayan April 6, 2020

This works.. thanks :)

5 votes
Felipe Hernan Di Gregorio December 8, 2015

This can be done by going to the Board Configuration and clicking in "Edit Filter Query"

Change the query to include this: AND type != Sub-task

Ram222 February 26, 2018

This worked. 

Thanks. 

Tyler Richardson July 10, 2018

To filter out subtasks from the Kanban Board I modified the above code slightly

Go to: Kanban Board > three dot menu at top right of page > Board Settings > Quick Filters.

Then created a new filter with the JQL form field filled out with the following:

type != Sub-task

Give this new Quick Filter whatever Name and Description you like and click the Add button.

Back on your Kanban Board click the Quick Filters dropdown (located above the columns) and check the box for the Quick Filter you just created. Your sub-tasks should now disappear from the Kanban Board, but still be accessible when you select a card and view its details.

Like Cassie Reid likes this
2 votes
Dwight Biddle February 5, 2014

I have a similar issue, where I dont want to see the subtasks in the Work view of the new Greenhopper Agile Boards. I understand the positives of this feature, but would like the ability to turn it off. My main driver is that the only subtasks we put on our stories in jira are acceptance tests, which are unnecessary to see in the work view.

I tried sellerjd's JQL to filter out sub task issue types, but this doesnt work for us because it still shows a summary line for each task as though it had subtasks, but there are no subtasks under it (see below). This is slightly better, but we still cant see the estimate or what swim lane each of these stories is in.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions to help with this issue.

Jeannette Lamb March 19, 2014

I have this same issue. Did you ever find a solution?

Dwight Biddle March 20, 2014

Nope, noone ever responded to this. Our solution was to stop using subtasks for our technical tasks. What we now do instead is to just use a custom field with wiki markup to add simple one-line bullet points (* [Task Description]) for tech task, and then strike through them as we finish (-- [Task Description] -- ). Since we dont estimate or keep of the tech tasks in any other way, this works for us, though it feels like a workaround.

Ivar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 20, 2014

If you asked the question in a standalone question you might have gotten an answer. Asking a new question in another question is not the optimal way of doing things.

Like Jeff Lovington likes this
Jeannette Lamb March 20, 2014

Ivar, I don't understand the point of your comment. I was corresponding with Dwight because I had the same problem. I provided a suggested solution for Dwight earlier today.

Arnold September 16, 2015

If it's useful to anyone: changed the kanban board sub-filter from: fixVersion in unreleasedVersions() OR fixVersion is EMPTY to: (fixVersion in unreleasedVersions() OR fixVersion is EMPTY) AND type not in subTaskIssueTypes()

1 vote
Kimball Johnson August 7, 2017

I think the easiest and most maintainable way is to use the 'Board Filter', found in Board Settings/General/Fiters/Saved Filter/Edit Filter Query.

just add " and issuetype not in (sub-task) " to the existing filter before the 'Order By' phrase of the query and save the query/filter (whatever YOU want to call it).

best!

0 votes
Tirso Guinon July 22, 2014

It's possible to remove sub-tasks from the board in work mode by editing the board filter.

0 votes
Ivar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 21, 2014

@jnet, I responded to Dwight "complaining" that he didn't get an answer to his question. So I just informed him that he might have more luck if he asked his question as a standalone question instead as a comment in another question.

0 votes
EddieW
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 22, 2013

Check your config for the board.No sub-tasks should show in the planning view. They will show in the work view however (how else does the team know what to run with)

See similar quiestion https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/108172/planning-sprint-in-greenhopper-6-with-scrum-board-no-subtasks-shown

Suggest an answer