Remove required "star" from field when creating a Jira issue

Yan Stern December 9, 2021

"Resolution" field appears as mandatory when I create a Jira issue.

How can I get rid of it?

I want this field to stay with its default value as "Unresolved"

For some reason only 3 fields are marked as mandatory - Summary, Reporter and Resolution

Thanks in advance!

Yan.

3 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 9, 2021

For most fields, the answer is "remove the mandatory flag from the field configuration for this issue type".  That includes "reporter" - you can remove that from the field config.

There are exceptions, which include Summary and Resolution - you can't make summary optional.

Resolution technically isn't mandatory, because it can be blank, but Atlassian display it with the * to tell us that it effectively is mandatory.  When you can enter a resolution, you have no choice but to do so - it sets a default and does not have an <empty> option.

You need to get your administrators to remove the Resolution field from ALL create and edit screens IMMEDIATELY.  They have broken your system by adding it to those screens.

Yan Stern December 11, 2021

Thank you for your suggestion.

So, actually, you suggest to remove it from create and edit screens.

Actually, I did it, and then, in such case - when the issue is done, I was not be able to choose "Done" in Resolution field. Without having such an option - the closed issue will not be marked strikethrough.

Other way I have tried was as follows:

I added a value for Resolution field as "Not fixed" and then I have chosen it when creating a Jira item. However, in such case - the Jira item appeared to be marked strikethrough. So, maybe there is a way to define that when specific value is chosen in "Resolution" field - Jira item is not marked strikethrough.

Yan.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 11, 2021

I am not sure I was clear enough here.

That was not a "suggestion", it is what you need to do to make the system work.

You should never add a "not fixed" type resolution.  If the resolution field has ANY value in it, then the issue is resolved.  It does not matter what you call that resolution - "unresolved", "not fixed", "needs more work" all mean "this issue is resolved" and hence it gets struck out.

There is a way to mark things "unresolved" and not get them struck-out - empty the resolution out completely.

You need to remove that option from the list immediately, all you are doing with it now is corrupting your data even more badly!

Please, remove the "not fixed" option, and then remove the resolution field from the create and edit screen.  This will stop you making things worse.

Then take a look at the workflow(s) you have for the project - separate out your "done" status from your "not done" status and look at the transitions between those two groups.  

If a transition goes from Done -> Not done, then it should have a post-function on it that says "clear the resolution"

If a transition goes from Not done -> Done, then it should have a post-function that sets a resolution, OR it should have a screen that does include the resolution (i.e. not a create or edit screen)

Yan Stern December 11, 2021

Thanks!
I will apply the A/Is and reply with the status.

Yan.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 11, 2021

Great!  It will fix all the problems you're having with strikethroughs and Jira thinking stuff is done or not done at the right times.

I'm sorry I did not explain it well the first time.   I'm going to blame being a bit jaded by 15 years of it (including time grumbling at Atlassian about it), but that is no excuse for not explaining it properly!

Yan Stern December 19, 2021

Hello again.

I used post-functions for Not Done -> Done and Done -> Not Done transitions "Update Issue Field" in which I specifically set the Resolution field to a needed value.

However, I could not figure out how I create a specific screen for Not Done -> Done transitions, but this is fine at this point.

Thank you so much for your support!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 19, 2021

You mean on your Done -> Not done, you clear the resolution, not set it to something?

For the not-done -> done transitions, you can just go to Admin -> Issues -> Screens and add a new one.  All it needs on it is the resolution field (it'll have comment on it as well if your people have comment permission).  Then you can edit the workflow and set the "transition screen" to your new screen.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Yan Stern December 19, 2021

For Done - Not Done I set the value of "None" to Resolution.

I could not find the post-function which clears the status of Resolution.

As for the second transition Not-Done -> Done I will try it.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 19, 2021

Ok, that sounds good to me - the reason I said "clear the resolution" is that that is what the "update issue field" post-function displays as when you use "update issue field - resolution - none" and then look at the list of post-functions.  (The important bit is that you have not added a resolution of "none" to the list!)

Hope the rambling about transition screens get you there!

0 votes
Yan Stern December 22, 2021

Happy to update that transition screen had been defined successfully.

I also removed the post-function which set the value "Done" from Not Done -> Done transition since it overrides the choice in the Screen which I have added

Suggest an answer