Next:
badges earned

Your Points Tracker
Challenges
Leaderboard
  • Global
  • Feed

Badge for your thoughts?

You're enrolled in our new beta rewards program. Join our group to get the inside scoop and share your feedback.

Join group
Recognition
Give the gift of kudos
You have 0 kudos available to give
Who do you want to recognize?
Why do you want to recognize them?
Kudos
Great job appreciating your peers!
Check back soon to give more kudos.

Past Kudos Given
No kudos given
You haven't given any kudos yet. Share the love above and you'll see it here.

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Remove Estimate Field From Subtask Cards on Board

I don't use estimates on sub-tasks, and would like to hide this field from my cards on my Scrum board.

hidethisfield.jpg

I found this post which seems to ask the exact same thing, but I followed the steps listed and it seems that maybe my setup is different.

In the linked post, the discussion members indicate that one should create a custom screen for their sub-task issue type and remove that field.  They also indicate removing the sub-task issue type from the "story points" field context.

I feel that I should note that I use time estimates (i.e. "1d 2h"), rather than story points to estimate my issues.  Which leads me to wonder whether this field is called something other than "story points" in my case.

I have created a new screen/screen scheme for the sub-task issue type and hid the time tracking and story points fields by moving them to the right column.  This had the desired effect of removing the field from my view when I open the issue, but the indicator above still remains on the cards on the board.

Screen Shot 2021-04-13 at 8.08.23 PM.png

I also checked the subtask issue screen (accessed by clicking the link at the top of the screenshot above), and verified that these fields aren't present.

Screen Shot 2021-04-13 at 8.11.21 PM.png

Also of note, I've gone to Settings/Issues/Custom Fields and found Story Points. I confirmed this field is not associated with my subtask screen, nor is subtask listed within the field context.

Screen Shot 2021-04-13 at 8.13.39 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-13 at 8.15.26 PM.png

Finally, I checked my board settings, and there are options to turn time tracking on/off, or change the estimation statistic to things like "issue count," etc.  However, I want to keep my existing estimation statistic of "original time estimate" because I use it on other issue types.

The field does not show up when I open a subtask (as expected, since I hid it from the corresponding screen), but it the field with the "-" is still present on the cards on my board.

Is there a way to hide this indicator from the subtask cards on my board?  Am I missing something?

I am using Jira Cloud, and my project is a classic Scrum software project.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

2 answers

Thanks for your response.

I looked at the card layout.  I don't currently have any additional fields defined.

Screen Shot 2021-04-14 at 6.03.57 PM.png

I tried adding a few extra fields to see if those would replace the defaults.  They don't.  They just add additional text to the middle of the cards.

It also looks like this approach would affect all card types - not just subtasks.

Like Alexander Pappert likes this

what is the tooltip on this field?

is it really a time field? - or maybe story points?

grafik.png

If I mouse over it, the tooltip says "Unestimated."

Screen Shot 2021-04-15 at 8.56.01 AM.png

If I switch my estimation to story points, it shows points there.  If I use time estimates (1h, 30m, etc.), that value shows up there.  The latter is what I'm using.

If it can't be done, it's not the end of the world.  I just thought it was worth asking because I read some other posts here that seemed to imply that others had accomplished this.

0 votes
Daniel Ebers Community Leader Apr 24, 2021

Hi @Mike Conway ,

I was able to adjust the setting so that the card is showing values for original estimate (4 days) as well as logged work (3 hours):

grafik.png

However I was only able to do it adjusting the estimation settings and I am unsure if this will break reportings for your sprints given the current use case:

grafik.png

For card layout the followings settings are made:

grafik.png

I am not sure if this fits you needs.

Please check and let us know what you have found out.

Best regards,
Daniel

Hmm... this is an interesting approach.  Unfortunately, changing the velocity reporting will break if I change it to issue count since we report in time.

That said, this is a creative solution that might work for others who aren't concerned with that aspect of reporting.  Good answer.  Thank you.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Marketplace Apps & Integrations

Staying organized with Jira: best practices for a better project management

Project managers know this problem: A “mountain of work” lays in front of you, and you don’t know how and where to tackle them. Different to-dos lie ahead, but just one task after the other can be ha...

233 views 2 1
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you