Remove Epics from sprint

Malte February 7, 2020

Hi Guys,

Some of my colleagues have changed  issues which are in an active sprint to an EPIC. Than they linked many issues to this EPICs.

Now we have EPICs in our sprint and want them ro remove. Is there a possibility to remove them without change them to an issue or solve all there linked issues?

Thanks in advance

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 7, 2020

Hi @Malte

You should be able to drag the Epic out of the sprint - or remove the sprint from the "sprint" field.

This won't impact the issues linked to the Epic via linked issues or the epic link. But it might impact the sprint burn-down / sprint velocity due to removal of an issue.

Ste

Malte February 7, 2020

Hi Stephen,

Thank you for your answer.

Drag out is not possible, because I don't see the EPICs in the backlog. I think I have to remove the sprint.

Like Russell Green likes this
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 7, 2020

Hi @Malte

You're right - they're not in the sprint view - apologies! But you can still remove the sprint from the field itself. You can check if the field is already on your issue's view or edit screens by visiting the Epic itself.

If not, you'll need to be a Jira Admin and then...

1. Go to Jira Settings > Issues
  2. Choose Screens from the left-hand side
  3. Locate your screen and press "Configure" on the right-hand side
  4. Scroll to the bottom and add the "Sprint" field to your issue view
  5. Go out of Admin and back to your issue's view
  6. Remove the "Sprint" value
  7. Go back into your settings and remove the field again

^ This will fix the issue. Alternatively, I sometimes find that using bulk edit works for non-admins:

1. Go to your Issue Search page
  2. Locate your Epic - for example, JQL: key = ABC-123
  3. Press the 3-dot icon or the Tools button (depending on your host type) in the upper-right corner and select "Bulk change all 1 issues"
  4. Select the issue in Step 1 and select "Edit Issues" in Step 2
  5. In Step 3, search for the "Sprint" field - if it's on this list, check the box and make the sprint field blank and press Next. If it's not there, this unfortunately won't work within your Jira configuration and will need to use the option above.
  6. Confirm the action in Step 4 - and allow the change to take place

Note: If you're using Cloud and in the New Issue View, you might need to add / remove the field as a Project Admin as it uses a different screen configuration:

1. Go to your project's Project Settings
  2. Select Issue Layout from the left-hand menu
  3. Ensure the Sprint field is not in the right-hand panel. If it's not there or on the visible screen, you'll need to visualise it first (using the Jira Admin steps above)

Let us know if any of these work :)

Ste

Like # people like this
Malte February 9, 2020

That works.

Thank you very much.

Mike Goitein March 8, 2024

Bulk edit for non-admins did the trick, @Stephen Wright _Elabor8_ !

Thanks!

Suggest an answer