We are new JIRA users and we launched our first sprint. For this sprint, we are using the following estimation configuration,
Estimation Statistic: Original Time Estimate
Time Tracking: Remaining Estimate and Time Spent
At the start of the sprint, we made time estimates for all the issues. Then we started adding subtasks to many of the issues and made time estimates for the subtasks. We noticed that the remaining values for our issues with subtasks includes both the overall issue estimate AND the estimate for each subtask. For issues with subtasks, the remaining values in the burndown chart are now double what they should be. We tried changing the estimate for the overall issue to 0 so that only the estimates for subtasks are counted in remaining values in the burndown chart but that made a mess of time accounting in the burndown chart.
With the estimation configuration we are using, how do we make estimates for issues with subtasks so that the remaining values are accurate in the burndown chart (e.g. no double counting of estimates).
More importantly, can someone recommend a best practice for estimating time for issues with subtasks to maintain a high integrity burndown chart.
Our burndown chart is a mess for our first sprint. We want to make certain that we set up our sprint correctly the next time so that our burndown chart reflects the reality of our work and progress.
I performed some experiments and came to the following conclusions when making time estimates for issues with subtasks:
It is important to realize that these two cases must be handled differently to avoid a burn-down chart with inflated time estimates.
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!Find a group
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!
Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.Start an AUG
We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.Save your spot