Remaining time on Plan tab

I August 23, 2013

Can I configure my Scrum board to show Remaining Time and not just the Estimated time on the Plan tab?

We are using GreenHopper plug-in.

8 answers

2 votes
Glenn Verrijkt August 27, 2015

There is a feature request at JIRA Agile to support this:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/GHS-5794

It can use some more upvotes imo smile

2 votes
Andrew Cohen February 9, 2014

Me too

2 votes
John Dyer December 8, 2013

yea, I am really surprised this is not supported.

1 vote
Martin Gregory June 22, 2014

The only workaround is implied by earlier comments: create a sprint and put the tasks that you care about into it, then look at the bottom to see what the remaining effort is. Click on each task to see its remaining in order to know what its contribution is.

This is really not-the-way-it-should-be!!

1 vote
Chris Rathjen December 3, 2013

I'd like to have this capability as well. We have a workaround for some teams (see the Quick Filter suggestion at https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/207136/jira-agile-estimated-remaining-time-for-each-team-member-in-planning-or-work-board), but we have some teams with 10-12 members and the Quick Filter approach is pretty cumbersome at that scale.

1 vote
richie_gee
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 23, 2013

Hi there,

I believe this is achievable by following the steps on this following documentation:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AGILE/Configuring+Estimation+and+Tracking#ConfiguringEstimationandTracking-EnablingTimeTracking

1. Select Agile > Manage Boards from the top navigation bar, then click the Configure link corresponding to the board of interest.
  2. Click the Estimation tab.
  3. In the Time Tracking field, select Remaining Estimate and Time Spent

Hope this is the answer you are looking for, cheers :)

Ryan Dortmans November 24, 2013

This allows showing the remaining time in the Work tab. Cases in the Plan tab will still only show the original estimate. The total remaining time is shown for a planned sprint, but the individual cases show original estimate only.

Would like to be able to select remaining estimate as the estimation statistic.

0 votes
Sven Koch September 25, 2017

We really need this as well:
show for EACH issue in the backlog the original AND the remaining time.

0 votes
Andy Loughran May 29, 2014

Is this something that Atlassian are going to support in the future? We tend to group the sub-tasks and estimate on them. These only get passed through to the main story as 'Remaining Estimate' rather than 'Original Estimate' - and if any time is added to the story itself it gets duplicated, causing the story to grow even larger.

Does anyone have any suggested workarounds?

Martin Gregory June 22, 2014

Don't use sub-tasks. This is the workaround. There are too many ways in which they trip you up (estimates not showing on planning board, can't split them across sprints etc etc)

Suggest an answer