Remaining Estimate on Sub Tasks

Rich Averett March 20, 2013

I have setup a Scrum board in Greenhopper. I configured the board to use Story Points for estimation as well as "Remaining Estimate and Time Spent" for time tracking. When I add new user stories to the backlog and bring them into a new sprint I can see the Estimate field summing the story point estimates. I can also add time remaining on the user story, defects and tasks. However, I can't find any way to add remaining estimate on sub tasks. If you see the attached image you can see that there are sub tasks on the user story, and there is a remaining column on the grid that displays the sub tasks. However, I have tried every way possible to edit the sub task and can't add remaining estimate. The time tracking portion of the Sub Tasks in Jira is not enabled until the sprint is started.

We do our estimates based on story points, but burn down based on time estimates. When I try to start the sprint it tells me that the user story doesn't have a value for the Remaining field and that any changes after the sprint will be treated as scope change. If I put remaining on the user story I can't track the burn down based on sub tasks. I can add remaining estimate to the sub tasks after the sprint starts but it gets added to the remaining for the user story.

2 answers

0 votes
Daniel Hankins April 5, 2013

Edit the sub-task, then at the top of the edit dialog you should see that you're on "Field Tab". Switch to "Log Work" and you can enter your estimates there.

0 votes
Michael Ruflin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 21, 2013

Hi Rich,

The Remaining Estimate for Sub-Tasks can't be edited in the GreenHopper UI. Please use the Issue Edit dialog instead.

Click on the pencil in the Actions column of the Sub-Tasks section and then enter the Remaining Estimate in the dialog:

Rich Averett March 21, 2013

Thanks for the response, but that is the problem I'm running into. Those fields don't show up when I do that. I tried adding the fields but they aren't available. Even in the project administration, I can't find those columns to add to the screen.

Suggest an answer