Release issues from The KanBan board

Aradhana liyanage October 6, 2013

im working in a maintenance project and following a kanban process. We use Jira Board for managing issues.

when issues come to a Done phase,it is not possible to release them. some of the issues are released but some of them are keeping on the board.

any help for resolving this is higly appriciated

Thanks

Aradhana

5 answers

5 votes
TL March 25, 2015

Objective:

• On my team's Kanban board, filter out completed tasks that are also released - so they do not show up in the done column.

Here is the "work sub-filter" I am using: 

• status != Done AND status != closed and status != finished and fixVersion in unreleasedVersions() or fixVersion is EMPTY

This works as follows: 

• I would like to filter out any tasks that are DONE/CLOSED/FINISHED and also RELEASED (so not just done/closed/finished)
  • Because my team does weekly releases, we wanted issues that are DONE/CLOSED/FINISHED but not released to show up
  • Because I have a lot of "open work" statuses it was easier to filter by "!=" which is "does not equal"
  • Because I have work that has a fixversion but is not released, I wanted that work to show up

In regular English my filters says:

• Show me issues whose status DOES NOT EQUAL DONE and DOES NOT EQUAL CLOSED and DOES NOT EQUAL FINISHED and have a fixversion that is not yet released or a fixversion that is empty.

Results:

• Issues that are completed AND released do not show up in the done column of my team's Kanban board.
Andre Oliveira May 30, 2017

THIS!

Our team has been strugling for weeks trying to figure out how to deal with this problem.

We have a fixVersion thats being used as a macro overview to create a forecast report. And we have a fixVersion that is being created as we make releases.

As @DavidOri mentioned, if you have tickets with fixVersion that are not yet in the Done column then all the tickets that have this version will not disappear. 

This sub-filter does exactly what we wanted.

Thanks!

Suresh Balasubramanian January 16, 2019

@TL, thanks for the info, definitely helped us achieve what we wanted!

Marzio Cancellieri July 2, 2020

@TLadd my thanks too!

This helps me out to get exactly to the same point, tailoring your solution with my needs.

Teamwork always works!

1 vote
David Ori February 22, 2016

Had the same problem, then I noticed that I had some issues that had "Fix Version" that could not be released because that there were other issues of the same "Fix Version" that were not in "Done" column - so if you have an issue in done with an unreleased version - it will stay there until you either - move all other issues with the same version to done and release the version (in Project -  Manage Version) - or remove the unreleased version from the "Fix Version" in issues under "Done" (make sure that those issues are those you want to "release"...).

1 vote
seamus doherty November 4, 2013

Hi,

I use Kanban agile board and I have been using/testing releasing issues recently.

I found that the work-subfilter determines what is visible on the kanban board, before any further quick/swimlane filtering is done.

So, when you perform a release in Kanban, check the following:

• Does the Issue have the field "fixversion" have the release version you created?
  • Is the version updated as a "released " version (check JIRA proj, versions, Manage version)

If above is all working as you think, so all issues are properly released into a version but are still being displayed in your Kanban board, then it is up to your work-subfilter to make them disappear from your board. (configure-> Filter).

Thats what I have concluded from my trial and error, maybe there is a easier way, I am not sure.

0 votes
DushanC October 8, 2014

I am having the same problem.

0 votes
DushanC October 18, 2013

Add the following to your board filter query:

resolution = Unresolved

Aradhana liyanage October 27, 2013

Thanks Dushan

I did that and it helped me to remove those issues from the current Swimlane where i keep all blockers. but it get listed in an other swimlane and there is no delete option or adding Filter for that Swimlane (I have Blockers, Critical issues, everything else)

Suggest an answer