Release from Kanban board using Quick Filters

Andrej Kolar August 28, 2014

Our developers use one Kanban board each which shows all their issues across multiple projects. That works nicely and it is very intuitive. They also use quick filters at the top to show only relevant issues at a time.

The next intuitive step would be to select a quick filter for a specific project then click "Release" at the top of the board to only release the selected issues.

That however doesn't work. Kanban board wants to release all issues from that board regardless of the quick filter. We can't find a way to release only issues from one specific project through the Kanban board.

Are we doing something wrong? Help would be very much appreciated.

7 answers

1 vote
Erik Zwerling January 28, 2015

I'm facing the same problem...my team works on 2 projects simultaneously, and their releases are on different days. So when I try and do a release, it wants to release everything at once. 

I did find an article about setting up another column to track 'latest' release vs. 'next' release, the only problem is that it requires setting up a new resolution state in the workflow just for this purpose.

In a perfect world, the board would only physically release based upon what quick filter is active (either project or all if both are active).

Anyone else have any ideas?

0 votes
satbot February 28, 2018

My team was able to work around this limitation by creating a kanban board for each type of release that we want to do. The board is based on a JQL query that returns all of the tickets for a particular type of release.

We only show the 'Done' column on these release-specific kanban boards because that's all we need. We then also name the release version according to the type of release. e.g. Version="Server v1.1.0" or Version="Client v1.0.5".

0 votes
Yanela Carllinni September 26, 2017

hi!! someone could  find a solution to this problem?

0 votes
Marcin Gosiewski March 24, 2016

We are users of a commercial version of Jira. And we have just hit the same wall. 

It is really needed by us to include selected tasks in the release, or at least to remove some tasks from the release for another release.

0 votes
Madura Rodrigo January 25, 2016

This is really required and useful requirement... Unfortunately still this feature is not in Kanban board... sad

When it will be implemented? I am facing trouble using one kanban board for  the team which runs more than one projects, which have different release dates.

0 votes
Sachin Patel November 20, 2015

Any update on this issue?

0 votes
Diego Zarpelon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 28, 2014

Hey Andrej.

The release button within your sprint is meant to Release a version of product that was built on that interaction.

If you don't need an issue to be showed on the kanban board anymore you can use the work subfilter, to make a JQL query and every issue that matches it will be dropped off your board.

Andrej Kolar September 8, 2014

Thanks for your answer Diego but I think I was not clear enough.

1. We use Kanban board, so no sprints

2. Each developer has his own kanban board where he works with multiple projects. This is the only board the developers are using right now. This process works perfectly and there is no reason to change.

3. Each developer has Quick Filters in place so he can quickly filter out what he needs (typically one of his projects).

4. If a filter is active (for example a filter for one particular project) only these issues are shown on the board - which is great.

BUT. When you press release WITH THE FILTER IN PLACE Jira wants to release ALL PROJECTS from the kanban board and not only the issues which are filtered at the moment.

Here's an example:

When "Release version" was pressed a filter for "Oudie Live" was active. Instead of just releasing the 24 issues for Oudie Live it offers to release also other projects. But other projects need other version numbers etc. It's wrong (or rather nonsense) to release all projects with this dialog.

What to do?

Andrej Kolar September 10, 2014

Bump. We really need help with this.

Melody KirkWagner August 16, 2016

This is not a good model. We forget to release and don't want our done column loading up. We want to be able to backdate and release the issues we forgot to release on the correct date. Since we aren't using JIRA as part of our pipeline, this is a tracking issue, not an actual release. We'd really appreciate the flexibility.

Suggest an answer