Release does not remove tickets from kanban board

Sushma Zoellner January 4, 2018

I am using a kanban board and in the past have been able to successfully click on the "Release" button to clear out the done column on the board. 

Since the UI update, I have not been able to clear the column.  I checked to make sure there was a resolution. When I go to the release hub, there are no errors.  After I click on release, it still shows the tickets. 

Any ideas? 

1 answer

3 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 5, 2018

By default Kanban boards have a sub-filter, and this has a default value of:

fixVersion in unreleasedVersions() OR fixVersion is EMPTY

If this is setup for your current board, then when the issues are released, they should then have a fixVersion value and no longer have null values for that field.  The issues are still in the agile reports, but if your subfilter is set this way, you should no longer see these issues on the board itself.

I suspect that perhaps your subfilter for this board has been modified in some way.  That is really the only way I can think as to why you could release issues and still see them on the board.   It might help to take a look at our documentation on Adding a Sub-filter for Kanban boards for more info on this.

Alex Nguyen July 13, 2018

Thx for this.  Related to this: is it possible to have a release JUST have 1 fixVersion (the tickets from this round of development)?  Or is it expected that every release has every fixVersion that came before?

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 13, 2018

When you click the release button on the kanban board, it is expected to change any/all versions that exist in that done column from unreleased to released.  You can see these in the Project administration settings under Project config -> Versions.  This shows you all the releases/versions in this project.   So in short, No, I don't know of a way to only make that release a single version, short of moving the other issues temporarily out of the done column before pressing release.

The idea here is that if you have released a version of your code/product, that these issues that belong to that version would then disappear here, because there is nothing more for you to do with those issues.      

Like Dave Liao likes this
Alex Nguyen July 25, 2018

Thanks for the reply!

So to be clear it is expected or not expected that items created in 2013 continue to show up in every release?  (I.e. with a long list of Fix Version/s attached to them.) 

I have over a thousand issues in my latest version even though I only worked on a fraction of that number for this actual release.  Just trying to figure out if I'm doing something wrong!

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
July 26, 2018

it is expected or not expected that items created in 2013 continue to show up in every release?

When the issue is created doesn't tell us anything about whether or not it should appear on the board.  It's the subfilter that determines when issues disappear from a kanban board.    If all these issues have a fixVersion set, but that specific version was never released until now, then I could understand why you might be confused by this.

Did you make any changes to your subfilter on this board recently?   What value do you have for your subfilter on this board?

Alex Nguyen July 27, 2018

The board's sub-filter: fixVersion in unreleasedVersions() OR fixVersion is EMPTY

(To be clear, I probably shouldn't have hijacked this existing thread haha.  My issue is not the same as the OP.  We do not have any problem with "clearing" the done column.  This just happened to come up in search first.)

My "issue" is that all tickets from all time are showing up in all versions/releases.  And everytime I hit the release button, the current tickets are just getting added to an ever increasing list of old tickets.

2018-07-27 09_18_53-myBoard - Legacy JIRA – jira.collegeboardnewmedia.org.png

This particular release may have only had 50 Issues worked on as an example but:

2018-07-27 09_20_15-MYBOARD_ 2018-06-30 - Legacy JIRA – jira.collegeboardnewmedia.org.png

Any one ticket in all my releases seemingly gets a new Fix Version every time I hit the Release button.

2018-07-27 09_20_51-[MYBOARD-2] time stamp for news - Legacy JIRA – jira.collegeboardnewmedia.org.png

I would expect any single ticket to only be part of 1 release.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 27, 2018

@Alex Nguyen, yes can you please open a new question. This scenario is quite unique and is not an answer to the original question. I attempted to move it but "move" feature is having issues at the moment. :-(

Once moved we can delete this question here.

Like Rebecca Lüke likes this
Alex Nguyen July 27, 2018

Cool, we can delete this question here now if you like.  I've noted the question and have the screenshots to post as a new question.

I have an upcoming Release in a couple days.  If it happens again I'll post a new question.

In a way I guess it's good news that it sounds like what I'm seeing is actually unexpected.

Alex Nguyen July 31, 2018

Had a release today.  Everything worked as expected!

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer