Release Planning Support in Greenhopper

Fabian Schiller July 28, 2011

Hello,

we are using Greenhopper for development in Scrum. I did not find any support for release planning in this tool. I'd like to be able to define about 4-6 future sprints and set up prognosed Story Points for those sprints. The tool should then automatically fill those sprint containers from the backlog using the estimated story points of the stories available. Thus you could always show the customer in real time, when his features are likely to come.

Is such a feature possible, or planned?

Thanks in advance

Fabian

3 answers

1 vote
Drew Liscomb May 28, 2012

'Filling up' future sprints doesn't seem very Scrumly to me, as it will set some unreasonable expectation of completion.

0 votes
Jeff Isenberg July 5, 2012

I read thru https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/GHS-3483 and also think there should be a way to plan multiple sprints ahead. I would like it to be more permanent than just a display on the Plan mode of the Rapid board. I'd like to be able to search for issues by these future sprints.

0 votes
Jon Cotter
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 28, 2011

If you are using story points, Greenhopper gives you the ablility to set a visual indicator in your backlog of a certain number of story points (which you can configure - click on the statistics button on the Planning board)

Thats the only built in tool I know of that you can do release planning with.

My method (in case this helps) is to create 3 sub versions in the backlog that we use for planning ahead. It requires you to manually fill them (not automatic like you describe) but has the same effect.

Hope some of that can help you

Fabian Schiller July 28, 2011

Hi Jon,

the feature you mentioned is quite what I am looking for. Thanks for your hint, didn't realize that feature, yet. The only pitfall is that you can only indicate one sprint in advance and I'd like to indicate at least 4-6 sprints...

Your solution has the disadvantage, that you will always have to reshuffle Stories if you reorder the backlog or insert new items at the top, don't you?

I wonder, if it is anyhow possible to use the first machanism multiple times, so you can indicate multiple Sprints.

Thanks a lot for your answer so far!!

Fabian

Jon Cotter
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 28, 2011

Yes.. i agree. It would be very useful if that bar would repeat every X points so you could see 2 to 3 sprints ahead.

My current method does have a disadvantage like you mentioned, but its the best ive been able to find so far.

I have created a feature request for the repeating bar. Please vote on it and add any thoughts to it.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/GHS-3483

Suggest an answer