Refrences lost after Trac to JIRA migration

José Carrascosa July 26, 2017

Hi, I am trying to import Issues from Trac to JIRA, but the numbering of issues in Trac is not kept in JIRA. This is important in order to have some records of work done in the past, and references to the Trac issues have been made available in other documents that cannot be modified. 

Is there a way to allow JIRA to keep the Trac numbering of issues?

Thanks in advance.

1 answer

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 26, 2017

@José Carrascosa, what i have done in the past is to create a custom field in JIRA that can be use for import. If desired, you could make it a URL field and then using excel for import convert the Trac issue key to a URL. In this way the JIRA user can quickly access the Trac original.

With that said, what data do you need to access there that you cannot import? There are ways to get all comments and attachments over too. Though this can be painful.

Hi Jack, 

Thanks for your answer. I don't intend to get access to the Trac original, but to have some internal references within JIRA from one ticket to another, using the old Trac issue IDs.

I know that there is this field called External Issue ID, but can one make references from one ticket to another using this field? 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 26, 2017

I don't recall the External Issue ID and didn't immediately see it in my instance but that doesn't mean it isn't there. :-) What type of field is that (text, url, etc).

What do you mean by "make references". When i read this it seems to tell me you want to make it a URL but you just stated you don't plan to use the field to access Trac so I'm confused. Are you wanting some from or programmatic interface or simply a means to manually know what the reference # is in TRAC. Can you explain the use case scenario here. 

Sure, apologies for the confusion, I will try to explain with more detail: 

When migrating issues from Trac to Jira, I would like that: 

1. The Issue numbers in Trac are kept in a field in JIRA, as it seems that when importing issues from Trac to JIRA they get a new Issue ID. 

2. Within JIRA, I want to cross reference issues. For example in a new Issue, refer back to another related issue, which issue number is the Trac Issue ID. This is important because the Trac Issue ID is the one being used for many years, and because the server containing Trac is going to be deactivated forever.

I hope this is clearer now.  Thanks for your patience and help.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 26, 2017

I think so and I think I have already proposed a solution for this.

When you export from Trac be sure to include the Trac issue number. Import to Jira and map the Trac issue id field to either the External Issue ID or a custom field (e.g. Trac#) you create. Make sure you expose the field on the view issue screen.

you may want to review Importing Data from CSV 

Thanks Jack,

Yes, the field was imported in the "External Issue ID" and is exposed in the view issue screen. The only thing I need to figure out now is how to cross reference a new issue to an older issue exactly on this field "External Issue ID".

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 26, 2017

Hmmm, not sure why you would you cross reference a "new" issue to an older issue but I'm sure you have your reasons. Regardless this will be a manual process. You will need to add the Trac# into the External Issue ID field once the new issue is raised and you realize there is a related issue in Trac.

Thanks Jack,

Yes, it is a bit of a manual process, but I'm trying to do that using a CSV import to update the existing issues. I think I have a solution now. Once more, thanks for your assistance.

Suggest an answer