Recommended upgrade path Jira 7.0.2 -> 7.4.2 (?)

Joel Kåberg August 23, 2017

We are in the process of upgrading Jira from 7.0.2 to 7.4.2 and at the same time migrate from the built in database to a postgresql database.

As per documentation is simply seems like:

- Export config/issues in admin area

- Stop Jira

- Upgrade Jira

- Remove dbconfig.xml

- Start Jira

- Config new postgresql connection

- Import config/issues in admin area

- Done (?)

However this doesn't work for us. Whenever we try to do it like this we get the following error: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/error-when-logging-in-or-visiting-dashboards-864653761.html

However none of the issues applies to our setup. We have no application links and we only have one dashboard (default system).

It seems to me when the upgrade takes place, it doesn't alter all tables in the database? 

Note that simply migrating from 7.0.2 builtin database to postgresql (still Jira 7.0.2) doesn't have this problem. 

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 23, 2017

That is not what the documentation says.

You have two *separate* tasks here.  Upgrading a system, and changing the database.  In terms of time, you might well be doing them in one go, but there are two processes.

Your steps will perform two upgrades.  One of them is redundent and the other not the recommended way to do it, and is probably the cause of the problems you're having.

You should migrate first by exporting and importing the xml.  Then upgrade the migrated system.  You could do it the other way around, but the built-in database is not a production class solution and it's prone to fail during complex actions like upgrades.

Thanks for you reply, Nic. I'm unsure what you're trying to say. Migrating from H2 database to postgresql is OK (documentation I followed is here, https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/switching-databases-802592192.html) - Jira works fine.

When I then proceed to upgrade Jira from 7.0.2 to 7.4.2 I get the issue described in OP. Followed documentation https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/upgrading-jira-using-a-rapid-upgrade-method-312738529.html

I've tried doing the task both seperately and combined, same result both times.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 23, 2017

The process you posted originally went:

• Export
  • Upgrade
  • Swap to new database
  • Import the old data, so it would have to upgrade and migrate in one step

Your comment now says you're doing it in the best order now, so that concern has gone away.

What does the SQL in the KB article tell you?

Yes, I noticed I wrote it wrong here so I corrected it.

The SQL query noted in the KB gives 0 results (there is only 1 dashboard - the default one), aswell as there no Application Links in Administration->Application->Application Links.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 23, 2017

Interesting, not one I've seen before.  Could you try adding a new dashboard (no need to share it) and see if the error changes?

Suggest an answer